Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A thread for developers?  (Read 4866 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
A thread for developers?
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:16:25 am »

I just want to start by saying Happy New Year to you Brano and Angry Pig!

Ok, although I am not a developer by any means I do have interest in the development of Outerra. I wonder, since interest is likely to continue to grow with this engine, that a separate thread be created for developers to share specific information about "Development" of Outerra and external connections to it.

The reason I say this is because I'm starting to see development speak all over the forum (even though it is justifiably there) which starts to create some thought about whether it is beneficial to others who wish to look at plugging in as they would need to troll the forum to find answers to their "development" questions. Also, if they wanted to make a query in context of development then they may find it hard to know where to place it.

With a special "Developers" thread, this could allow for some targeting of items that may not make too much sense for the public or paying customers of the alpha.

What are your thoughts on this? I do think interested developers could go direct to the jugular vein if they knew there was a special thread dedicated to developers. Maybe you could call the thread "Developer speak" or just plain old "Developers"

With this in place I believe this would also provide further structure to the forum.

Regards,

Kelvin (a long time Outerrian)
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
Re: A thread for developers?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:47:09 am »

I think that's what the "Technology" sub-forum is for.  A single thread wouldn't do.  You'd want to be able to pick and choose which development concepts you're writing about and discussing.  That's why I picked that area for my recent dialogue on JSBSim interaction.  I can see, though, where one might want to separate development conversations from conversations about the fundamental capabilities and technical offerings of Outerra from a layman's perspective.  I'll go along with whatever....not sure exactly how much dev work I'll do beyond flight sim cockpit stuff, but it's certainly going to be worth sharing and interacting with other devs, no matter where in the forum. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:40 pm »

Yes, the technology board is currently the place to go with these kind of requests, especially when there's no public SDK for the developers yet. I guess once there's one, it will get its own board.

But probably I could put a better description for the technology board ...

KelvinNZ

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:32 pm »

I think that's what the "Technology" sub-forum is for.  A single thread wouldn't do.  You'd want to be able to pick and choose which development concepts you're writing about and discussing.  That's why I picked that area for my recent dialogue on JSBSim interaction.  I can see, though, where one might want to separate development conversations from conversations about the fundamental capabilities and technical offerings of Outerra from a layman's perspective.  I'll go along with whatever....not sure exactly how much dev work I'll do beyond flight sim cockpit stuff, but it's certainly going to be worth sharing and interacting with other devs, no matter where in the forum. :)

Yes perhaps it's just calling it another name and doesn't make it look like a dev thread. I am interested in this particular aspect of Outerra that you talk about because I am both a pilot (in training) and a flight simmer so would be interested to know where you get with your angle.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:48:57 pm »

Yes, the technology board is currently the place to go with these kind of requests, especially when there's no public SDK for the developers yet. I guess once there's one, it will get its own board.

But probably I could put a better description for the technology board ...

with an SDK it would make sense. I was just scrolling through some recent posts and had the thought. Of course it's just a thought. Looking forward to some concepts taking shape this year as it sounds like you have good momentum.