Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 293036 times)

RadicalEdward

Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3275
« Reply #375 on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:33 pm »

Hi Cameni

Thanks for the quick update!

Unfortunately I'm still having problems but it's a different error now. I get the attached exception error pop up then Outerra closes without the crash reporter appearing.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #376 on: September 16, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

That's diagnostics I added there together with the change, so that it doesn't crash in an unhandled way.

Hmm, could you edit eng.cfg and set debug_mode = true there? Eng.log should then provide more info about what's wrong. Also, does the 3100 version work for you now, with current drivers? If you used the same data dir, you'll have to delete eng.cfg and world.cfg first.

RadicalEdward

« Reply #377 on: September 16, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

3100 still works, I'm using the latest ATI drivers.

Data dir is different from the standard build.

I enabled debug mode and have attached the Eng.log

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #378 on: September 16, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »

ERROR: (DRV): glMapBufferRange failed because there was not enough available memory to complete the operation (GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY)

Given that it tries to allocate a 1MB memory block (and the card has 1GB), it seems to be a driver bug or some odd driver/OS limitation. I'll ask ATI guys if there's something that could cause this with XP.

Btw how much CPU memory have you got?

RadicalEdward

« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2012, 05:52:46 pm »

4BG installed but as it's 32bit XP it only uses up to 3.25GB

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #380 on: September 17, 2012, 11:11:39 am »

That's not a UFO shadow, there's no such thing. It's a problem of long polygons and the logarithmic depth buffer we need to use for rendering. We have a couple of solutions, none of which is ideal though.

Anyway, you can help it by tesselating the model better, so that there are no triangle edges longer than say 0.5m.

I call bs... I mean a tank with thousands of polygons and like 11k meshes doesent have a problem... and if I have an object with 100-200 polys and one of its polygon has 0.51m it will affect even the ones that have under 0.5... I mean I was looking at something with 0.2m and that shadow thingy pop'd up again... I was so furious  >:(.
So basically I would need to increase the iterations for all polys to be less than 0.5.

I mean you can see in what direction the sun is making things shade and look at those ugly shadows from nowhere :

The point that I'm making, do you think this issue will be solved in 3-4 years by the engine? ( and by that I mean the programmers of Outerra )
Cause I would really prefer if I can make as much as I can a low poly environment and invest more polygons in to the NPC's , characters , and other customisations that need detail and the player stares at them a longer time, then a piece of tree, building and any other material that can be made out of just a few polys.

So what do you think?
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:39 am »

Hey, no need to have your blood boiling over one of many temporary issues with the engine. Of course it will be fixed, and sooner than later. I was saying we already have solutions for it that aren't ideal (with a slight overhead, or with small depth imprecisions; ideal would be if there was support for logarithmic depth buffers in hardware), but still working.

The reason why we didn't hurry to implement it is because we are still trying to come up with a better algorithm that would be able to suppress the issue in a more effective manner, and it takes some time until all pieces come together.

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2012, 11:36:58 am »

Sorry if I sounded blood boiled  ;D , I was just worried.And thanks for the fast reply and the assurance that I would not need all the time to keep track of pieces of the model going over 0.5  ::) or even remake models or textures just to be fit with an issue that will be solved in time.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

saccara18

« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »

i´ve get a new update, but i dosen´t find somthing about it

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3280
« Reply #384 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:43 pm »

Just a small fix, wrote about it on the previous page. Added to the first post now.

saccara18

« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »

thanks for information

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

4BG installed but as it's 32bit XP it only uses up to 3.25GB
So I've received reply that the error can be because of low available non-paged memory from Windows. XP have limit of 256MB (in Vista+ it's dynamic), and if there are faulty drivers (other than the graphics ones) they could consume extra np memory or leak it, so that there's too little of it left for Outerra. Updating the other drivers (sound, networking ...) could help. Other apps running on the background locking the memory could be the problem as well.

There's a selectable NP pool column in windows task manager, showing sizes of non-paged memory allocated by individual processes, but not all of the used non-paged memory is shown there.

RadicalEdward

« Reply #387 on: September 17, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »

Here's a screenshot showing the amount of Non Paged memory at the time of the exception, is it showing the amount allocated or free?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:36:26 pm by RadicalEdward »

RadicalEdward

« Reply #388 on: September 17, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »

Just tried after a clean boot, Task Manager was showing about 19500 NP memory, still got the exception.

I think all my drivers are up to date so not sure what else I can do, I still think it's a recent change in Outerra as the release build works ok.

I've attached a screenshot of Taskmanager with the release build running as a comparison.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:31:42 pm by RadicalEdward »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:36 am »

Well yes, it's definitely change in the new development branch and reworked object rendering pipeline that's causing it, but it's an essential part of it. It's where it maps a 1MB buffer of object instance data to be filled up.

It still can be a driver problem, but the reply I received said that the amount of np memory available to the driver may have been limited by some OS modification or a tuning program, because mapping a 1MB chunk should be no problem normally. Unless the requests for np memory got accumulated in OT over a couple of cached frames and that breached the limit ... we will add a counter and a statistics there.

Found something at Steam, although talking about paged pool: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5034-EIPV-6426
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42