Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Middle-Earth World for Outerra released!  (Read 221175 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Middle-Earth World for Outerra released!
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 03:23:07 am »

Dunes are already here, really visible from the space, but when you get close the terrain parameters start adding rocks and it's less consistent:

You can find many of these in north/middle Africa :)

christopher0936

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2016, 06:45:00 pm »

Is this project dead? It seems so cool.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2016, 07:41:03 pm »

Its not being actively worked on at present. But thats not to say it will never have some more work done on it. It did reach a point where outerra had most of the features showing well and to take it up a notch would now require another large push of effort.

grinreaper

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »

Is this project still being worked on? I tried loading this on the latest version of outerra (16.1.0.7503)  and i get a black screen.

I get ERROR: server error: 404 on file: C:/Users/.../Outerra/data/medem/_bio/-x/base.desc (planet.anteworld.com)

I've tried the camera patch and that doesn't help.

I compared the data/medem with data/earth2 folder and found that whereas earth2 had files in the /_bio/-x (and y and z) folders, the corresponding folders in medem are empty.

Any way I could fix this?

Thanks!

Redrobes

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »

Ok, it looks like Outerra has moved on since the last time we tried it and I have not kept pace with any new developments. I think its looking for some new files and there is the potential that we can provide some of the data that its looking for. But we need to have a conflab with Cameni to work out what we can provide.

Eönwë

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:20 am »

Hello, Everyone,

I've just joined this forum and would like to get in touch with anyone interested in rebooting the Middle Earth project.   Let me know who you are are where you are with it.

Thanks...

monks

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:13 am »

Hi Eonwe, Redrobes is currently preparing to run an updated texture for this. We spoke to Brano the Outerra developer about adding rivers. In what capacity would you be interested in rebooting the project?

monks

Eönwë

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »

Greetings;

I'm glad that there this project has interest.

I am a software developer and long time Tolkien fan.   I have a great interest his 'world' especially the cartography of Middle-Earth.   I have collected all the maps that I can find including some containing geological and climatological information.   

I would like to see if Outerra can render Middle-Earth including detailed landmarks and structures, well-known and otherwise.   I would love to see it as explorable as the best that is out there for other worlds.

I have no experience with map editors, but I can contribute to scripting events and actions.   What kind of documentation is there available?

How many are there who share this passion?

monks

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 08:13:27 am »

Hi Eonwe, ...pleased to meet you and thanks for your interest!  :-)...unfortunately at the moment I can't commit any time to the project. However, RedRobes is currently pushing forward to create a more detailed environment map with the input from Brano (Cameni), the Outerra developer. It will take advantage of the improved environments of Outerra. So there will be a new release on the horizon. I'm not able to give any input at this stage. However ME-DEM is a very long term project, and has had down times before, and will re-iterate. All of the data is backed up on more than one hard drive. The website is down, but it is backed up. It was removed by my old web hosts for the sake of a missed payment of £5.00. Idiotic!

Btw, the ME-DEM project is going to be used by the marketing team at Global Mapper in their advertising. Talking to them at the moment. :-)

I'm currently busy finishing the album for my band and writing a Tolkien critique. Amongst other things, I have solved the long-standing riddle of Tom Bombadil. His and Goldberry's true identities will be revealed in the book. Sorry, I can't reveal anything at this stage. So I'm still very much immersed in the Tolkien world- at least when I'm not making music.

We are really looking for 3D modellers and someone to lead that side of things. Would you be interested in getting involved with that? If not, perhaps speak to RedRobes on here. Alternatively, I think we need a plugin for Outerra to provide a better interface for adding rivers. Cameni mentioned that in an email. Would you be interested in taking that up?

monks

Redrobes

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »

Yes we could really do with a lead for the 3D work. What we had in mind was to make up some really rough models of the famous sites. Just enough shape to them so that we could make sure that the terrain would hold the model ok. Then people could pick them off and have a go at making them in detail.

The 3D buildings and stuff in Outerra is done using COLLADA format 3D which is handy since blender and sketchup both support that format. But somebody to make up a text list of all the models that might be good to see and then to pick them off in most important order and make really rough untextured versions embedded into the Outerra world first would be a great target.

Eönwë

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »

Greetings, Monks;

Thanks for getting back to me.

Available time is a premium for us all.  Frankly, I don't know how much I can spare, but as i get more familiar with what the project needs are, but should I find anything I'll investigate further.

I look forward to learning more about the editor and what apps are commonly used to develop ME-DEM.   Clearly, Outerra objects can be scripted.   It also supports rivers, so I am surprised that the ME version doesn't have any.   Why is that so?

I'm all for more detail.  I'd like to see all the known points of interest: Hobbiton, Bree, Rivendell...
ture to at least the movies - as they are the kind of visuals most expect.   But, i wouldn't want to stop there.  Tokien mentions lots of places... most of which exist only in words.   And,... I wouldn't even want to stop there.   Most of Middle-Earth has no more detail than just a name.   But, the geology and climate of these places can be inferred by their location and elevation.   That's were the real labor of love is, tho much can be done thru attomation.

I do look forward to the next release.   Where can I find developer documentation for Outerra?

Who Bombadil is certainly has been a closely guarded secret.   The speculation I find most agreeable is that he is the embodiment of the music of Iluvatar.   If JRRT had something else in mind, he may have taken it to the grave with him.

BTW, I think I don't have the patience to model, but I probably would enjoy developing an interface for model format conversions (there are a lot of assets out there).    However, from what you say, the greatest need is rivers.   And, you don't really need to 'place' rivers.   That should be determined by the topology and climate.   At most, only hints should be provided for when the algorithms don't get it right.

Well, stop here.   Sorry for not replying sooner.

Look forward to hearing from you and maybe Cameni.

E

Aen-Seidhe

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 04:04:35 am »

Hello, Guys!

I'm very interested in your ME Dem Project.
I even modelled some Tolkien places myself using Wilbur and Terragen.
I was very upset that I couldn't find any info on ME DEM website anymore.

I heard that you need 3d modeller to make some models for the Project. I'm making some in Sketchup - this is my hobby. If you are interested I can show you some of them and join the project :)

Eönwë

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2017, 02:23:25 pm »

Greetings,

Sad to say that this forum is not active at the moment.   I hope that will change.    The creator of DEM has a great thing going.  It's unfortunate that not enough ppl have time for it.   I have some time, but there doesn't seem to be enough support.   Hope that changes.   Until then, let's keep in touch and see if activity changes for the better.

monks

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2017, 05:45:12 pm »

Hi, thanks for your interest. :-) Unfortunately I'm just too busy to revisit the files, rebuild the website and oversee the project for the time being, despite interest from Brano (Cameni) and Redrobes. ME-DEM is not dead. It has been through long periods of hibernation before. This is the longest period to date admittedly but as long as the files are still on my disks, then it's still alive. I still keep in touch with RedRobes fairly regularly via other channels.  If you want to build models for it then I don't see why you can't go ahead and do that anyway- unless of course the latest Outerra builds don't support the ME-DEM data- that's probably the case. One of the things I'm busy with is writing a book, a critique of Tolkien's works, so my interest in Tolkien and all things M-E has not waned in the least! I can confidently say that the riddle of Bombadil and Goldberry will finally be solved. //wink... I see Outerra goes from strength to strength. Long may it prosper!  8)

monks

Eönwë

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:51 pm »

I'm not a model maker, but would like to contribute to terrain editing such as rivers, streams, and waterfalls.   Hopefully, ME will come back to life and after updating and augmented with VR technology will stay alive.   I'll be standing by and try to visit this forum more often to help maintain a presence.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6