Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Xbox 360 wireless controller doesn't work.  (Read 4824 times)

DonGateley

Xbox 360 wireless controller doesn't work.
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:17 am »

Trying to get started with Anteworld and find that my Xbox 360 controller does nothing but it shows to be functional from the joy.cpl control panel.

I checked in Menu->Contols->Controller and it is configured to use the controller.  What else must I do to get it working with the app?

Thanks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Xbox 360 wireless controller doesn't work.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:45 am »

Have you bound the controller axes to the actions in control configuration pages?

DonGateley

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

No, is there an explanation somewhere on how to do that and is there a configuration considered "standard" for Xbox 360 controllers?

Thanks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »

You just click on the action and press the button/axis to bind to it. I don't have a Xbox controller, but once someone finds the right setup and shares his iomap.cfg file, we can add a quick shortcut to populate the controls for it for other people.

DonGateley

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »

Aw, that was just too obvious. :-[  (A note to that effect in the Controls window would be user friendly.)

I did manage to bind wasd to the left joystick. How can I find what the mouse is bound to so that I can bind those functions to the controller also? I want to map mouse left/right, fwd/back to the controller's right joystick and eventually the clicks and scroll wheel to something else.  All without losing the existing mouse bindings if that is possible.  I don't see the mouse functions represented in the "Controls" tabs and perhaps they should be.  Then people won't have to ask the question I just did.

I sure hope that someone who's a lot more game savvy than I am will soon create a full iomap.cfg file for the Xbox controller.  Please, oh please. :-*

BTW, this is of some importance to anyone, like myself, who want to use their Oculus Rift with the game and whose fingers are not trained for blind keyboard use. For us it would also be cool to be able to pull up a virtual keyboard for less used functions so we don't have to lift the Rift (hey, that should be an idiom) to get to them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:55:06 pm by DonGateley »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:45:39 am »

Mouse currently cannot be bound, it's more complicated since there should be a key to toggle it between camera control and using mouse to steer.

DonGateley

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:54 pm »

Mouse currently cannot be bound, it's more complicated since there should be a key to toggle it between camera control and using mouse to steer.

'Fraid I didn't understand your answer.  What is camera control?

Hope that you seriously consider allowing steering to be mapped.  Virtually (pun unintended) all Oculus demos and games use the right joystick of the controller for rotation and elevation and it would be good to be compatible.  It's the right way to do it when you are "locked in" behind a Rift.  I'm surprised how much I use peripheral vision to find mouse and keyboard and the lack of it presents serious difficulties in their use.

Thanks

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »

You can use the mouse currently to look AROUND the vehicle in first person and third person. So to have that action stop and do steering will take effort.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo