Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Latest version: 0.8.3.4883  (Read 317424 times)

M7

Re: Latest version: 0.8.2.4725
« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:29 am »

I dont think each lighten object at night needs to be a light source. I remember maybe last year you could have object be fully light up at night using the env map i think.

So i think here you would just need a separate albido map with a night texture so that windows for example, could be bright at night but wouldn't emit light to the surrounding. Now i dont know about thousands of street lights and car lights....

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:12 am »

Distant lights will become just points, with halo if they are strong enough. But from certain distance they'll stop lighting the environment, as the halo usually becomes larger than the lighted area anyway, and reflected light at that distance becomes weak too.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:54 pm »

Distant lights will become just points, with halo if they are strong enough. But from certain distance they'll stop lighting the environment, as the halo usually becomes larger than the lighted area anyway, and reflected light at that distance becomes weak too.

... could there be some addition for city lights for orbital-level observations ? ... will be a little cheeky to get it nicely blend the urban structuring, but it would be really something new to see such blended transitions to the space-level.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

I was thinking about it too. We could easily use a light density map there, but one problem is how to make the transition to city lights map ... and then to individual lights.

HiFlyer

« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2014, 01:36:52 pm »

Driving down a road at night with lights. A bush landing on a barely lit field at night, Out on a boat, with a faithful lighthouse in the distance, flashing out its timeless message........

Lit cockpits, and the ability to fly at night.....

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:23 pm »

I was thinking about it too. We could easily use a light density map there, but one problem is how to make the transition to city lights map ... and then to individual lights.

... the texture overlay may be even used to reversely place the light-sources (not for a created location, but lets say as a possibility to displace urban areas by this "light distribution texture" at the further developed Urban area generator -- i just write this, cause there may be people, that would like to create worlds by its orbital night-light distribution, like recreating planets from StarWars, where cities are trough half of the planet, but little known on ground, witch could be taken by the procedural city-generation on the "light-distribution map" basis). 

... also, i dont think, that if the map is generated at so 6-10 kilometers height, blending wouldnt be as bad, if the texture projection will be on the surface (that is, with all the terrain deformations).

Problem might be another - light-pollution as an effect of greater clusters of light hidden behind a mountain. This will be some interesting thing to include to OT. Specially when the light should affect clouds too !

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:36:47 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2014, 03:29:42 pm »

Looking at pictures of cities from space (example below), it seems that majority of visible lights came from roads lights. The light then "bleed-out" of this visible grid, making urban areas clearly visible.

Only problem is, can roads be handeled at such a distance in outerra? Maybe by making a specific road profile for main roads and highways/freeways?

professorx

« Reply #382 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:39 am »

Do it like it does in real life.
It blurs out as you get further away.

PRiME

« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »

Tricky topic, maybe there is some way to have basic cheap light sources (cant think of name, its late) and as you zoom out some algorithm joins them together (2 become 1 source etc...) as they get closer to within 5 pixels of each other in the screenspace? This joining effect would allow you to minimize the number of actual basic lights when observed from space for example? 

It probably won't look fantastic but be a start.

PytonPago

« Reply #384 on: August 23, 2014, 03:00:40 pm »

Is there some terrain shadow misfit ? ... it kinda looks, like it renders shadow, like the sun where higher at dawn. (was testing it in HighTatras) It then makes some mountains illuminated, witch are actually behind some other higher ( if ya stand on the edge of the shadow of a second mountain, the sun is actually much lower then the mountain-top of the one, that should cast the shadow on it ).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #385 on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »

There's no terrain self-shadowing yet (not in the public release), only terrain shading, which only shades the terrain if it faces the opposite way from the sun. It looks like shadow, except it doesn't take shadow casters into account (and is very cheap to implement, compared to real shadows).

saccara18

« Reply #386 on: September 02, 2014, 04:46:05 am »

when comes the next update?

sniperwolfpk5

« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »

Driving down a road at night with lights. A bush landing on a barely lit field at night, Out on a boat, with a faithful lighthouse in the distance, flashing out its timeless message........

Lit cockpits, and the ability to fly at night.....
wow my mouth is full of water lol.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #388 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:15 am »

when comes the next update?

A few days to iron out a couple of remaining issues, mostly with Oculus DK2 support.
In the mean time find 5 differences:

Though the fifth is hard to spot at this angle.

M7

« Reply #389 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:55 am »

Wow those 2d trees look some much better. Think i got what you did with them. There's a gradiant shade effect that mimick shadow on the 2d trees. It works very well!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:54:26 am by M7 »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38