Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Middle-Earth world update - biomes alpha  (Read 76955 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Middle-Earth world update - biomes alpha
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:35:25 am »

A new update from the ME-DEM project - an alpha version of biomes (land colors and vegetation density map) for the existing elevation dataset.

This version is just an alpha release to get the M-E world viewable again, since the new Anteworld versions require biome data and will not work the standalone elevation dataset anymore.

Provided you have the latest Outerra Tech Demo/Anteworld version installed or updated, please download and launch the following otx mods that will add "medem" planet, selectable in the initial login window:

Full M-E data set (1.1 GB):
middle-earth-v1.1.otx (Google Drive)

Just the color data (152 MB, download only if you already have the M-E elevation dataset installed):
middle-earth-v1.1-colors.otx (Google Drive)

Please note this version of biomes is basically a placeholder until the right ones are produced. You will see many bugs caused by misalignment of the data (especially the river beds), some odd colors etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:13:50 am by cameni »

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
Re: Middle-Earth world update - biomes alpha
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:10 am »

Thanks Cameni for sorting out the biome info for MeDem. At some stage soon we must give you better data so that we can all anjoy a Mordor that isnt a desert and any other number of faults in the data we have given you. The engine is looking very nice and I look forward to trying out medem data in the latest version.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:05 am »

Made the tolkien world a lot more interesting indeed ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

monks

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

Awesome stuff! Yep, we need to do some more work on this, (Mordor especially), but this is a big step in the right direction.

monks

Morcrist

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:34:29 am »

I'd be interested in getting my hands on the DEM data. I've spent about an hour now trying to find it to no avail. Is there any way to extract it from the OTX file? My main goal is to get an elevation heightmap for importation into Minecraft's tools (i.e., World Painter) to work on a Middle-Earth map.

I've got the free trial of Global Mapper up for the next 2 weeks if that's needed or would help.

Anything you've got in the way of info would be greatly appreciated!

And btw, looks superb! Kudos to both the Outera guys and the guys on the ME-DEM project!

Take care.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:58:30 am »

There's no reasonable way to get it from OT data, because they are in a tiled hierarchic wavelet compressed format suitable just for the engine.
But this is best asked on http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/, might be it was discussed there already.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:08:06 am by cameni »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:15 am »

.... http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/ ....

... just a dash being there on the end ... just delete it to see the site (or click above).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Morcrist

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:04:07 pm »

There's no reasonable way to get it from OT data, because they are in a tiled hierarchic wavelet compressed format suitable just for the engine.
Aha! If I had known they were in a tiled hierarchic wavelet compressed format, I would never have asked!

*cough* *cough*

:P

But this is best asked on http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/, might be it was discussed there already.
Done. Thank you for the link.

Take care.

djankoDK

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:33:18 am »

Thanks Cameni for sorting out the biome info for MeDem. At some stage soon we must give you better data so that we can all anjoy a Mordor that isnt a desert and any other number of faults in the data we have given you. The engine is looking very nice and I look forward to trying out medem data in the latest version.

How do you use it?

I have dowloaded it, but cannot find it in Outerra...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:14:29 pm »

Did you download the full M-E data set as otx and opened it (with Anteworld), did it install?

djankoDK

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 12:19:53 am »

Hey,

Yes both the full version plus the update are installed. It took no time before it told me what the install was over.

But i can not see it in the choice box for landscapes...

Johnny F.

terrymorgan

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »

I installed it also, but there's no choice to load it anywhere, do I have to buy the game?

terrymorgan

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »

Never mind, I found it, I had to get the last rays of the sun falling on the menu page  ;--}

carbonox infernox

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 01:27:50 am »

I have downloaded and installed middle-earth-v1.1 and middle-earth-v1.1-colors in that order, but when i try to load middle earth on outerra, it gets stuck on "initializing the world". My copy of Anteworld/Outerra is up to date. Does anyone know how i can fix this?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 01:51:54 am »

Run this camera patch: medem-campos-fix.otx
Pages: [1] 2