Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Default FOV used in Outerra?  (Read 17776 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Default FOV used in Outerra?
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:49:07 am »

It is a bit of a hobby of mine to go around and tell everyone their Field of view is wrong in every game.

I have done many tests and shown plenty of examples WHY a calculated FOV can be beneficial to certain aspects of gameplay.

Here is one of those examples. My calculated 20 vertical compared with the mods intended V-fov of 62.5

[youtube]oWV0_u0r-Hk[/youtube]

In a racing game a high FOV is often used to see the cars on the left and right and exaggerate the sense of speed. But this default high FOV (~60 Vertical - ~95 horizontal) also has the negative effect of distorting distances and the scale of objects. Now maybe you can get away with object scaling but judgment of distance in a racing game is crucial for brake points and knowing the severity of bumps and turns. In the video above, some of the most demanding turns look like mere bends rather then hairpins.

So translate this to the massiveness of OT. Head-tracking would help a great deal. But thinking about looking at the mountains in the distance as if the monitor was a window into that world. I shiver with anticipation.

So.. What FOV does Outerra Default to?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:03 am »

Default vertical FOV is set to 37.5°, 60° horizontal in Outerra.

20° does have its justification by saying it's the FOV of looking through such a window in space, but the shortcoming is that it is indeed just such a narrow window into space. Limited peripheral vision and all. We'd all like to have 180° views without distortion but until then it will be a compromise and an individual preference.

FOV is adjustable but it's not just a change of a value - cache parameters and quality settings will have to be adjusted as well to maintain smooth rendering. But that is mainly needed for widening of the FOV, narrowing it is not problematic.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:36 pm »

37v 60h by default is a great number to start with.

That 20 degrees V is my personal fov calculated from my screen height (12") and I sit 34" from the screen. The angle from my eye to the screen height works out to 20.5   Using vertical is also a better system of adjustment since triple head of my same monitors keeps my fov the same.

There is the shot I use as an example.

In the end as long as I can change it down without issue I am pleased.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

pico

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:05:31 am »

FoV is a Indivitual Thing, between the Distance and the Size of your Monitor. So we need a simple Option for this.  :cool:

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

Quote from: Pico
FoV is a Indivitual Thing, between the Distance and the Size of your Monitor. So we need a simple Option for this.  :cool:

I would like to see a game (not necessarily here in OT) but a game in general where the gimick is you are forced to calculate correct FOV and play like that.  Most games aren't designed for that low a FOV so making one from scratch would be the best bet for success.

One of my converts has been trying to force proper FOV in all his games and found in Amnesia the usually scary game is now (excuse the term but it is a direct quote) Pants Shitting..

[youtube]eOaq-R5tyJ0[/youtube]

I have also dabbled. Here is killing floor in my proper FOV. All I ask you take note of is when I decapitate that one clot and it goes into slow motion. That was awesome.

[youtube]3XE234ejXns[/youtube]

Vicious713

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »

[youtube]_ShVBhTU2Bk[/youtube]
Uuuhg, why did i listen to you? All i did was get myself ill, lol.
3d Modeler, Sketch Artist and Level Designer

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:21 pm »

Quote from: Vicious713

You are a brave soul and I respect you for your efforts! That looked crazy.

Vicious713

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Quote from: Vicious713

You are a brave soul and I respect you for your efforts! That looked crazy.
Haha, you know, i think it'd be alot more effective in 3d. Either that or i just woulda gotten sick twice as fast. I can't see such low fov being helpful in anything except a racing or helicopter sim.  An aircraft just has a ton of gizmos that you'd totally wanna click on, and FPS, apparently, get awfully claustrophobic, seeing as the default fov was 55.

I am curious how well that low of an fov would work over the shoulder, though. Perhaps it'd dolly zoom closer to keep the camera from clipping through walls.
3d Modeler, Sketch Artist and Level Designer

Derelict83

• Not all those who wander are always lost...
    • http://www.rufinoherrera.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:37:21 am »

Well, as far as I remember a narrow FOV could lead to another problem, and is motion sickness. I remember to suffer this problem playing Turok 2, ten years ago - I couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes (I wasn't the only one). I began to feel nausea, a very very bad feeling, and soon realized by myself that the problem was caused by a 45º angle or so. That happened to me also playing Half Life 1, but it was the only game that I've ever played for so many hours per day... (something like 8-10 hours, but after that I physically couldn't afford keep playing). May Outerra engine will not probably be oriented to an 'action packed first person shooter' style, but, IMHO, I think you should take account of this problem too. Anyway, 60ºh should be enough, although I will always welcome to a slider with that option.

nothinglikethesun

Re: Default FOV used in Outerra?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:47 am »

Default vertical FOV is set to 37.5°, 60° horizontal in Outerra.

20° does have its justification by saying it's the FOV of looking through such a window in space, but the shortcoming is that it is indeed just such a narrow window into space. Limited peripheral vision and all. We'd all like to have 180° views without distortion but until then it will be a compromise and an individual preference.

FOV is adjustable but it's not just a change of a value - cache parameters and quality settings will have to be adjusted as well to maintain smooth rendering. But that is mainly needed for widening of the FOV, narrowing it is not problematic.

Stupid question. there is a way to increase vertical fov of outerra ? Thanks .

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 09:57:11 am »

Do you want to change vertical FOV separately from the horizontal one?
In eng.cfg you have:
Code: [Select]
fov = 81.400002,
fov_v_separate = 0.0,

If you set fov_v_separate to a nonzero value, it will get decoupled from the horizontal fov.

nothinglikethesun

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:14 am »

Do you want to change vertical FOV separately from the horizontal one?
In eng.cfg you have:
Code: [Select]
fov = 81.400002,
fov_v_separate = 0.0,

If you set fov_v_separate to a nonzero value, it will get decoupled from the horizontal fov.

Thanks Cameni. So if I wanted to change v fov from 37 ° (default) to 50 ° I have to write fov_v_separate = 0.50, ? ( I normaly use 110 ° Orizontal Fov. and I want to keep this setting for orizzontal fov ) . Excuse the elementary question.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 03:53:57 am »

Vertical fov wouldn't be 37° if you have the horizontal one at 110°, they are normally tied via the aspect ratio (as long as fov_v_separate is 0), you should see 110 there.
These values are in degrees, so you'd just enter whatever fov you want for the vertical part.

nothinglikethesun

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 04:02:04 am »

Thanks a lot. I'll try other values this afternoon.  :)