Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Game/Sim Idea  (Read 8852 times)

Donkeydanuk

Outerra Game/Sim Idea
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:52:58 am »

Here's a idea,
Let me know if you think it's too ambitious :)
After reading a few of Darren's post about a cave man simulator.. It hit me straight away!
Why not a real world sim?.

Start of with the usual basics one man with axe and trees...small wooden hut.. get some wood,catch fish & start growing foods.. From a fishing rod to rowing boat, then a trawler.. on to a fleet, All of which takes time to do. Along with crops and livestock for food. Clearly growing times would have to be somewhat reduced! Can't imagine poor ole Sam_the_farmerUK standing by his field for 6 months!
Players can then band together and have a Mayor who has control in a sphere of infulence(SOI) in which he/she can grant build rights etc.
Terrain deformation would probably not be advisable as after a month or two the planet would looks like a craterfest. Destruction is another issue needing contemplation. Who would want their busy town steamrolled by a crazy truck driver or pilot.

The more people join the larger the SOI. As players progress more basic resources are needed.. Iron Copper coal.. metals fuels and cables(power & lights).. Easy to see where i am going with this..??

Provide own power through town choices.. Coal,Wind turbine or Gas (resources that have to be found and transported over land rail or sea. Don't you all think it would be interesting to see how a alternative world might develop?
I guess the resources would have to be some what globally accurate, But allow for local pockets of resources to allow for initial construction.. How trade could work between towns/cities is another matter for someone else to come up with. Money would be pointless I think, Perhaps trade allows research to progress faster??( wanting to turn that lone mini windmill into a 500ft turbine?

I can just imagine a small town growing..building roads for lorry's and cars.. then rails for coal or other goods.. or even a airport for real time flight people/goods looking for resources in far away lands..
Jobs,titles,rolls to be filled but not impossible to progress if not enough men/workers.

Then people would probably ask, Why and what's the point?. I would just say that i think people that who tend to enjoy openworld/sandboxy construction games are usually very imaginative and are geared towards making things work and looking for progress.

I have a ton of other idea's that could be incorporated into this project but the list would be sooooo long :D

I think it would be great :D
Tell me what you guys think about this idea..

P.s Sorry if someone already had this idea.. I have not read through all the forums yet. :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:28:40 pm by Donkeydanuk »

Mechnuggets

Re: Outerra Game/Sim Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:01:58 am »

Here's a idea,
Let me know if you think it's too ambitious :)
After reading a few of Darren's post about a cave man simulator.. It hit me straight away!
Why not a real world sim?.

Start of with the usual basics one man with axe and trees...small wooden hut.. get some wood,catch fish & start growing foods.. From a fishing rod to rowing boat, then a trawler.. on to a fleet, All of which takes time to do. Along with crops and livestock for food. Clearly growing times would have to be somewhat reduced! Can't imagine poor ole Sam_the_farmerUK standing by his field for 6 months!
Players can then band together and have a Mayor who has control in a sphere of infulence(SOI) in which he/she can grant build rights etc.
Terrain deformation would probably not be advisable as after a month or two the planet would looks like a craterfest. Destruction is another issue needing contemplation. Who would want their busy town steamrolled by a crazy truck driver or pilot.

The more people join the larger the SOI. As players progress more basic resources are needed.. Iron Copper coal.. metals fuels and cables(power & lights).. Easy to see where i am going with this..??

Provide own power through town choices.. Coal,Wind turbine or Gas (resources that have to be found and transported over land rail or sea. Don't you all think it would be interesting to see how a alternative world might develop?
I guess the resources would have to be some what globally accurate, But allow for local pockets of resources to allow for initial construction.. How trade could work between towns/cities is another matter for someone else to come up with. Money would be pointless I think, Perhaps trade allows research to progress faster??( wanting to turn that lone mini windmill into a 500ft turbine?

I can just imagine a small town growing..building roads for lorry's and cars.. then rails for coal or other goods.. or even a airport for real time flight people/goods looking for resources in far away lands..
Jobs,titles,rolls to be filled but not impossible to progress if not enough men/workers.

Then people would probably ask, Why and what's the point?. I would just say that i think people that who tend to enjoy openworld/sandboxy construction games are usually very imaginative and are geared towards making things work and looking for progress.

I have a ton of other idea's that could be incorporated into this project but the list would be sooooo long :D

I think it would be great :D
Tell me what you guys think about this idea..

P.s Sorry if someone already had this idea.. I have not read through all the forums yet. :)

I like the sound of this idea, seems to be a big demand for world builders.  Some constraints would be needed though to stop a littered world of shacks.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:55:04 am »

Lol. Thats all featured by "Life is feudal"

Dharma Initiative

• Enter: 4815162342
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 03:22:29 am »

Hi Again to all ! I was just thinking after checking out this other engine called space engine as well as unigene ! was thinking is it planned to extend this engine into creation of space and other planets and stars just like in space engine or just planet earth ? i couldn't be bothered to try space engine now but from the videos i saw on youtube it feels that if this engine would be combined with space engine i think it would be fantastic and each team if worked on separate planet(s) then this would be amazing ! i don't know but they idea seems very interesting because if space engine team teamed up with you guys it would  really be great as it would be a creation of the whole universe let's say ! what do you think people ?

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:02:45 am »

it feels that if this engine would be combined with space engine i think it would be fantastic and each team if worked on separate planet(s) then this would be amazing !

"Combining" two engines is not possible. How can I explain it...

Imagine you take two different cars, let say a Toyota and a Mercedes. It would be like making these two impact face to face at 120km hopping that you'll get a Lamborghini.
All you will get is a wreck :)

If you want to understand more how Outerra works, I recommend you to read the blog : http://outerra.blogspot.fr/, from the start. Even if not all the posts are easy to understand (some even extremely technical), It's a good start.

bomber

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 08:36:36 am »

Don't think outerra needs to link up with a space engine....  Outerra could do that on itself.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Dharma Initiative

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »

well OK ! sure I'm not doubting that fact that it may not be possible but let's say including on it's own the other planets and of course stars and star system into outerra as you guys stated on it's own would definitely be a great thing to do ! perhaps even beat space engine and other similar engines ! sure i understand that two different cars can't combine together but eventually maybe some parts from another car could fit though :) just saying ! anyways but the idea of giving outerra space and other planets i think is just a great idea ! the rest is up to creators of this engine just shared some thoughts !good luck to all in everything ! peace to all !

Dharma Initiative

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:59 pm »

I thought of this about this engine is that i guess many of you already know this online game called Second Life ! Now let's imagine using outerra graphics or the actual world map as second life building complete emulation of this world as people in it as it is now in second life ?! i think it be amazing too ! think this way you as your avater walk any where run jump drive fly anything communicate build buy anything that you do in this life you can do there ! basicly complete emitation of real life in such amazing graphics engine or within the world map ! this could be great i think ! just sharing idea !