Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Alternatives to JSBsim?  (Read 4315 times)

zzz

Alternatives to JSBsim?
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »

I've spent a month trying to make my own JSB FDM file to work but to no avail. Even had a modder from FlightGear try it but only minimal progress.

I have a wide array of fictional ships with predefined masses, top speeds, accelerations and turning radii and JSBsim is far too over-engineered for anything except for documented, real-life aircraft. Is there any chance of a future update allowing us to use whatever's responsible for the camera's movement as an alternative flight model? Thanks.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Alternatives to JSBsim?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:23 am »

Hmm, using the ufo-mode "flight" as an arcade-like flying object handling, whyte some free hand to modify the turning and speed characteristics for each such vehicle ... know there was some talk about lighter handling of vehicles. Think too, that the best would be to have the two modes approach, where both - sim and arcade handling would be there and you would just choose witch you want to play.

Not sure if and when Cameni would add that to the engine, you have to understand that for now, the simulation-community is in the main focus for them (think mainly for the people contacting them for potential and going on projects). Doe, im sure the second way comes eventually (arcades will want to have some slice of the engine too).

... Not sure about the possibility of simplifying the JSBSim script, but i think the main flight-physics behind it could have some loop-holes for making a less realistically behaving plane. Maybe even a way to make both - sim grade and simplified to be choose-able in some way inside the JSBSim script. Doe i have zero experience in that one, so i might be wrong about that possibility. Maybe, when additional forces can be added to the flight-scripting (like the movement forces for ship-handling, or force impulses in the vehicle-script), there could be something build by simply an selectable intensity-variable push-force and the wing/frame lift characteristics.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Alternatives to JSBsim?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:50:25 am »

We may add a simplified model based on the vehicle physics. Actually, you could already define models as vehicles and use extra_force calls in the script to lift and fly it. However that still needs a regulator model that can hold it stable, but once one such parametrizable model is created once (in a script), it can be easily added into the core.

You have to understand that for now, the simulation-community is in the main focus for them (think mainly for the people contacting them for potential and going on projects). Doe, im sure the second way comes eventually (arcades will want to have some slice of the engine too).

Not entirely right - not every kind of simulation requires a complex flight physics. It's like the rail-road simulation for flight sim fans - sure they want to see trains down under, but they don't care if the train physics is realistic to the same degree as the flight physics is important for them.
Likewise for many types of simulators the flight sim dynamics is not the main goal, and therefore it's often required that the FDM is simplified, for example for AI control. It sure would be nice if the planes were completely realistic and the AI controlled them to the utmost detail, but if that's not the main goal of the simulator, it just adds to the expenses and taxes resources.