Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Regarding the dataset of earth...  (Read 4646 times)

dmortensen1

Regarding the dataset of earth...
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:40:46 am »

Hi i am pretty new to Outerra as i bought it yesterday and i have tried to download the full dataset of the earth but when i have installed it, it simply tells me when trying to load one of the areas that Outerra cannot download -x.desc or -y.desc i don't quite understand why i am receiving these messages as i would think that downloading the datasets would eliminate these issues :P btw i have installed it to the exact location mentioned in this topic: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2396.0

i have installed them like this:

C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/-x
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/-y
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/-z
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/+x
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/+y
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/+z

I hope i have understood the instructions correctly otherwise please tell me so :) Thanks a lot in advance it's an awesome program ;)

Cheers.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Regarding the dataset of earth...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:32:08 am »

Good, but there has to be one more folder, "earth", after data:

C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/-x
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/-y
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/-z
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/+x
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/+y
C:/Users/MyName/Outerra/data/earth/+z

dmortensen1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:22:39 am »

Hi cameni, and thanks for your fast reply :)
I think i have made it Work thanks to your guidance ;)
If i have done it correct then i should be able to travel all around the World, right? but i don't have any prefixed locations like the ones from start setup, but i guess that is because i have to make them myself, right?
Also as a feature request, would you Guys be so kind to implement some kind of Compass and / or location notification (to tell the player(s) if he/they are on location -x 0.0 or +y 31.0??? it would help a great deal to find the loaction where one is based / living in real life :) Thanks!) it would really help ;) because i can keep on travelling but i don't see myself getting any further away from landscape or Mountains, i don't see any real difference is what i am trying to say :) but it is extremely fun to play with just as it is right now but it would be even more awesome with the mentioned features ;)

Thanks Again for your help i could NOT have done it without your guidance ;)

Cheers.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:10 am »

You can press Tab to have a HUD showing longitude, latitude, heading etc. Also Google maps window (g) can help there.
F2 window can be used to enter lat/lon/alt manually, to jump into locations for which you know the coordinates.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:01:32 am »

Hello dmortensen1,

If i have done it correct then i should be able to travel all around the World, right? but i don't have any prefixed locations like the ones from start setup, but i guess that is because i have to make them myself, right?
Yes, you have to add your own locations. Some people have created custom locations markers including roads data and buildings placement. You can check my Alaska scene here : http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2855.0. Someone on the forum have posted a pack of cool roads locations too.

Also as a feature request, would you Guys be so kind to implement some kind of Compass and / or location notification (to tell the player(s) if he/they are on location -x 0.0 or +y 31.0??? it would help a great deal to find the loaction where one is based / living in real life :) Thanks!) it would really help ;) because i can keep on travelling but i don't see myself getting any further away from landscape or Mountains, i don't see any real difference is what i am trying to say :) but it is extremely fun to play with just as it is right now but it would be even more awesome with the mentioned features ;)
You can use TAB to get a heading and location informations. To get your precise location, you can use the "Display geographic coordinates on ground texture" key shortcut (Alt+i). You need to go into your eng.cfg (yourname/outerra/eng.cfg). Search for the "debug_keys" line and set the value to "true" (more info here : http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/ShortKeys).
If you want to get a better ideo of where you are or find back a precise location, there are two built-in map tools : OSM and Google maps (G or M keys). You can use these tools as an top-down overlay with ctrl+shift+g or ctrl+shift+m.

:)
[edit: too slow!]

dmortensen1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:07:45 am »

Thanks Guys :) I really appreciate your help!

Thanks for the answers it will definitely help me getting more comfortable with the UI in Outerra ;)

Cheers.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Also, if you have pictures with gps metadata, you can right-click and open them with Outerra. It works with Outerra screenshots if you want to find the location of a picture made by an user :)

dmortensen1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:19:26 am »

Hi Again and thanks a million for your invaluable help, i honestly couldn't have donw it without you guys' help :)
And Acetone, thanks to the shortcut you provided me (ctrl+shift+g) i am now in my own neighbourhood :P btw what i make in Outerra, will that be uploaded to some kind of server where everyone can see what you have done??? i am asking because i bought Outerra because it sounded very appealing through OculusVR.com and i do love Outerra ;) i was just wondering because i read on the download site on this forum, something about Outerra being some kind of Building simulator, so i was just wondering if something that other users have made will automatically be changed to what they have made in my game??? it may be too big but it would be extremely awesome if this was possible :P but keep up the awesome Work you Guys ;)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 02:37:08 pm »

No problemo  :)

Centralizing user data is one of their plan (using the same updating system than the terrain one), yes, but it's not implemented yet. The workaround is to locate inside of your cache folder the location (roads and buildings position) you want to share using this picture for reference to find it. Then you can upload the location online to share it, that's what I have done with the Alaska scene.

dmortensen1

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:04:02 am »

Thanks for the answer Acetone :) it's nice news to know for me :D Cheers ;)