Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 172445 times)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2016, 12:42:28 am »

Any recommendations for settings that preserves image quality and performance are highly welcome!

This are my settings (from this thread: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3554.30 )

I think Acetone is right. I have a 780 too, and I had no problems pushing the texture settings to ultra... But I don't see the point on doing it... I would highly recommend you leave the terrain settings alone (included terrain quality metric and max texture resolution). Outerra looks amazing with default settings.

For example "shadows low dither" looks really nice and, IMHO, some times even better (small objects shadows, like the buttons in the cockpit, are more defined) than "high dither" or "very high".

The only settings that I use to touch are:

Resolution.
Full screen (Most of the games works better for me in full screen).
V-sync (full refresh).
Anti-aliasing.... sometimes (FXAA is good enough at 1920x1080).
AO to high.... (mater of tastes).
And in world settings, if I'm going to roam at ground level, I push the grass distance to something like 90.

Also notice that in dawn or sunset you drop some fps.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

2eyed

« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2016, 11:16:12 am »

Thanks KW71, I tried your settings but I think they are not well suited for VR (Rift). Here, frames per seconds have to be always above 75 (DK2).  For instance with grass setting at 90m  it's not easy to achieve.

Dont know whether Async Time Warp comes in play but ground level perfomance is always with head tracking judders. Only cure is to go for low tree shadows.

Now the big disappointment: contrary to my assumption in my post above, the Antialiasing setting seem not to have any effect on image quality. I dare to say it simply doesn't work in VR. Tried all settings and combinations with no noticeable differences.
Since decent filtering is crucial for low res Vr we have now, I hope this can be fixed.

Edit: Cameni, your statement ("Previously only FXAA worked, but now with the changed API it should be possible to use MSAA modes in the Rift as well. I guess we just need to implement a resolver for Oculus frame submission.") led me to the wrong conclusion msaa being already implemented and I saw what I wanted to believe ::). But FXAA seem to have no effect as well, right?
Wonder what frame rate impact we might get with msaa.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:23:21 pm by 2eyed »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

Yes, due to the changes in Oculus SDK all final image resolvers were skipped, and currently even FXAA is not being applied. We should have full AA support in the next patch though.

2eyed

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:07 am »

Sounds good, thanks!

twizzstyle

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »

Has anybody run Outerra with a CV1?

I can't figure out how to get Outerra to show up in the headset.

twizzstyle

« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:43 pm »

Disregard - I hadn't done the update properly.  All working now.

grimdar

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

Yes, due to the changes in Oculus SDK all final image resolvers were skipped, and currently even FXAA is not being applied. We should have full AA support in the next patch though.

Sounds great.. is there currently a timeline for this patch? Look forward to it!

benplace

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2016, 01:31:17 pm »

I just bought the engine, and fired it up with my Oculus Rift CV1 and the judder is horrendous.  Are they using ASTW?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »

ASTW is automatically done by Oculus and cannot be turned off. I suspect it's still buggy in OpenGL and with multiple rendering threads like Outerra uses, because we are getting unstable results - roughly half of the runs are juddering for no apparent reason.

grahamwell

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:57 pm »

Can I just say that this is absolutely amazing.  OK there are bugs and stutters but it really fulfils the promise of VR, sitting in your little room and being somewhere else.

2eyed

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:18 am »

Any words from the devs regarding the state of Rift consumer version support?
I got mine and ran into quite a few problems with OT.
Performance is abysmal (52 compared to 75 fps onDK2). Results in heavy stutter and lag.
E.g. shadow rendering faulty, white square dots in the sky ...  this with former and latest driver nvidia, 970gtx.
No such problems with the DK2.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2016, 01:55:47 pm »

Can't do much until we get one and can test and profile it. I know we'll have to do several optimizations for the stereoscopic rendering too.
Shadows are probably misconfigured for higher internal resolution of CV1.

ddenn

« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:58 pm »

It maybe a wrong place to ask, but what about HTC Vive? There's no problem with receiving one, I managed to get one from US to Russia with no problems. And as far as I know there's not much technical difference between both headsets.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2016, 03:15:41 pm »

I guess we could get Vive from one of the nearby EU countries (I don't know why they don't send it to whole EU already, certification works for the whole market). Knowing that we need to optimize the stereoscopic renderer in the first place to make it better usable for higher resolution HMDs, we do not need to hurry until we find some time to work on that first.

bongodriver

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2016, 06:26:53 am »

I'm using a CV1 with the 1.6 software and firmware update, latest version of Outerra and it crashes every time after log in.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15