Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Can I add scripts to the engine yet. ?  (Read 3353 times)

Cronin

• Programmer and Game Developer.
Can I add scripts to the engine yet. ?
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:33:03 am »

Can I add any Lua or other scripting language scripts to this engine yet?

When will we be able to?

When's the next engine update?

How long until the engines ready?

What will the graphics be like in the final build... What's the goal?

Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Can I add scripts to the engine yet. ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:42:58 am »

Currently only Javascript is supported for scripting vehicle simulation. Gameplay scripting will be possible once Anteworld itself will have some gameplay & scripts driving it.

When the engine becomes usable by 3rd party indie developers - only after it becomes successfully used in some of the commercial projects on which we are involved, that will provide funds for its further development. We can't quite imagine OT living off the engine licensing to indies alone, given that it can't easily run on any mobile platforms and consoles with a wide user base, and making games that work on the global scale is considerably harder too.

Also, right now anything that wants to use OT needs our direct participation due to the incomplete API and docs. Making the engine widely accessible requires lots of resources that we currently do not have, so the indie version can only appear as a byproduct of the specialized engine development.

There's no terminal look for the graphics, it's meant to evolve with the HW capabilities.

Cronin

• Programmer and Game Developer.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:35:50 am »

Thank you for your reply. So what's the time frame here. How long until you have the resources to make it widely available. How can we currently make projects if it requires your direct participation? Is there any wat that people can join your team?
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

sneurlax

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »

When the engine becomes usable by 3rd party indie developers - only after it becomes successfully used in some of the commercial projects on which we are involved, that will provide funds for its further development. We can't quite imagine OT living off the engine licensing to indies alone, given that it can't easily run on any mobile platforms and consoles with a wide user base, and making games that work on the global scale is considerably harder too.

Also, right now anything that wants to use OT needs our direct participation due to the incomplete API and docs. Making the engine widely accessible requires lots of resources that we currently do not have, so the indie version can only appear as a byproduct of the specialized engine development.

I'm looking into cross-platform webgl rendering and was wondering about the client/server model that Outerra uses, if any...