Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: So how much longer  (Read 9658 times)

mercenar1e

So how much longer
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:44 pm »

until the engine gets commercial use? i love what it can do but it still seems years away before we see any games that will use the engine. Are there any plans for Kickstarter? i know its been asked but it would be nice to get a glimpse of whats in store for 2015.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: So how much longer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:27 am »

Well the 2013 wrap-up and peak at the future was .. well a year ago so I think a public update is called for.

An SDK kickstarter would be my guess. But I think they may have a few games /developers lined up for the KS announcement. So they aren't just selling the potential for games. They are selling the actual real life several games.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 03:24:46 am »

It might sound really sceptic from me, but i would say so 5 + years is still a theoretical guess (i say a decade till real epicness hits the infidels of OT pretty hard). Remember stuff they did till now was great, but the further they go, the more complicated problems they hit (remember they will have a different ground slip coefficient depending even on weather ?) ... they surely will have to re-do some parts of OT to accommodate future stuff and that is time and solution consuming. ... BUT ... still i say, its better to jump in right away - doing stuff you can already and then broaden it with any update relevant ... some incredible amount of content can be produced till then ... i looking forward for it. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:27:12 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:13:21 am »

I agree with PytonPago, they have probably a lot of work to do to deliver a "1.0" version of the engine, and it will be only the begining. I'm not sure they will release a kickstarter for a global sim plateform before having such things as engine/system support, clickable panels, multiplayer, weather, rivers, biomes and some urban stuff.

Plus, they probably have to prove that Anteworld is still on the rail, because switching to an other project will probably piss a lot of people (and they have always said that the project was still planed, but that extending the engine was a priority).

The good thing is that they don't keep the thing closed and they have developed several tools for moders, and I think the engine will probably keep this pace for a few years : they will improve the core features content and expend the modding tools to keep us busy :)

I just hope they will find new devs talented enought to work on the project, it may help a lot to accelerate the developpement.

Outerra : It's always worth the wait

;D

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:37:27 am »

That does worry me a bit. I think all of us who are gamers have seen games that were groundbreaking when first shown, but because of massive delays, everyone else caught up, and by the time the game was finally released....

It was no longer anything special and was dismissed, with people saying things like "If this had come out 5 years ago when it was first shown, we would have jumped all over it but now......."

Outerra has a big head start in some things, but others are out there, and even Outerra does not have forever.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:39 am »

... im sure they wont dump this ever after so much effort and progress, besides cryengine didnt flop into existence in two years aether.  :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:44:41 am »

I think all effort needs to be placed on the SDK and the multiplayer structure. Once that happens new, baby startup indie developers would jump at the chance to make a rabbit smashing simulator in the plains of new guinea. Or a boat racing sim off the shores of England.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

I think all effort needs to be placed on the SDK and the multiplayer structure. Once that happens new, baby startup indie developers would jump at the chance to make a rabbit smashing simulator in the plains of new guinea. Or a boat racing sim off the shores of England.

+1

I have lots of ideas, but all I can write is prototype code until plugins are possible.  The remaining engine features will likely take years to complete, but IMHO the engine is in sufficient state for progress to be made by those wishing to use the engine.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:10:50 pm by SilentEagle »

theshanergy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

+1

I have lots of ideas, but all I can write is prototype code until plugins are possible.  The remaining engine features will likely take years to complete, but IMHO the engine is in sufficient state for progress to be made by those wishing to use the engine.

Another +1 from me. Multiplayer would be the killer app for Outerra. Even simply as a sandbox game a la garrys mod. If I could get some friends in this world driving/flying around with me, storylines be damned, this would be a better game as is than many $40+ offerings currently on the market. I'm not a game dev, but I believe a basic SDK would be immediately open up this possibility to 3rd party developers and we would probably see a number of implementations come about very quickly. Based on how much fun I've been having with the engine so far, I might even try my hand at an indie title myself.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

I've managed to coerce someone from the I76 forums to look into a REBIRTH on OT just because the original game was so focused. Big desert, Some roads, some basic structures and vast vast expanses of nothing filled with muscle cars and guns. So the desert is there (minus some shrubs).. The roads can be done in a weekend. The cars we can find for free and the last bit...

Car and Bullet Physics. Car physics right now in OT are a joke. The original 1997 game had more of a sim feel to it. I presume BULLET physics can handle bullets if it is setup properly.  So some scripting and sounds are what is needed.

HiFlyer

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:11 pm »

They are working with the military and nobody has asked for bullets yet?  :o ;D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »

Meteors are more fun.  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 04:44:25 am »

They are working with the military and nobody has asked for bullets yet?  :o ;D

... that is top secret stuff !! :D ... the crater gun is a sample thing there for it !  ;D --- but actually it is so, they wont use sims for basic riffles, everything else is more the secret or better not know for keeping the edge type of stuff. Just like if you would like to know ballistic stuffs for aviation cannons ... 

jonslynn

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:05:20 am »

Top secret?  Perhaps Outerra is like evolution.  Slow to evolve but it will.