Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: [Released] Alps scenery  (Read 105299 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: [WIP] LFNA-LFMX scenery
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 04:39:05 am »

Outstanding! Very natural feel to everything you do.
Thanks a lot ! I'm not sure of when LFNA will be ready for release, I have only mapped a few main roads and not placed a single building. And I have a big surprise coming with Talkeetna ;)

Outstanding! Very natural feel to everything you do.

I've found the consistency of roads needs to match their purpose. For example a highway should be more even with wider turns, while a dirt road should be more uneven in width, follow the terrain more closely, (less transition/border) maybe with pull-off areas, as you might expect, and abandoned roads even disappearing in places.

It is amazing the level of detail and precision the OT road system is capable of.

Again, great job Acetone! You should someday record a compilation of videos demonstrating your techniques so beginners have a solid tutorial to start with. It does take time to master these tools and the more people there are producing content the better.

I have a feeling the future of Outerra will be a mix of procedurally generated OSM roads and cities, with detail added by hundreds of users, and different multiplayer servers hosting different scenery.

Edit: Couldn't you also import OSM roads and edit them by hand to add a level of realism. Collaborative multiplayer editing of the OSM data would be the only way to cover vast areas, unless OT advances their procedural civilization scheme considerably, which I can see very possibly happening! :-)

Regards,
Uriah

My roads are following exactly the real world ones, it helps a lot to make them look "natural". Many sims also draw only the main roads, less important ones are generated as simple texture patch with autogen. For Talkeetna, I have mapped every single road, even small private dirt roads leading to an isolated barn :)

I plan to do a series of tutorials, probably in epub/web format. No video, my english accent will probaly be barely understandable  ;D

OSM import is not possible for the moment, and I will love to have a kind of multiplayer editing tool :)
I think hand crafting is necessary to have a good result in scenery. I can't stand anymore autogen scenery, it feels... empty. However, it's impossible to make even a large region by hand only, so the best solution would be OSM import then hand improvements, as you suggested :)

krz9000

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 10:33:42 am »

openstreetmap integration .... with clever streaming. ....would be so amazing.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 09:11:26 am »

Some progress, but the area to cover is very large :)

Edit:

Managed to use the Chapalaka mesh for the Serre-Ponçon Lake near LFNA:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:51:55 pm by Acetone »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »

Tallard. I need to find a castle model.

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:36 pm »

I think there are a couple of castles, here.......   http://www.outerramodels.com/halbkreises-castle/
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 04:23:59 am »

I think there are a couple of castles, here.......   http://www.outerramodels.com/halbkreises-castle/

Hum, not exactly the same type, but it could do the thing :)

aWac9

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

It's fun, because I'm starting to get the same satisfaction than I had during Talkeetna developpement. Things are starting to take shape and I now have a few landmarks from wich I can extand the scene. It's better than trying to do everything at once. Depending on the time I can dedicate to it, I expect the full scene developpement to take at least one year, probably more (it's a huge area). And let's not forget there is also other stuff planned ;)

HiFlyer

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:02 am »

As far as I can tell, Outerramodels.com seems to have bit the dust. Any info?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »

To outerramods.com!  :))

No offense to whoever created outerramodels.com, but outerramods.com is much cleaner.

Now it just needs to be filled up more.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »

To outerramods.com!  :))

No offense to whoever created outerramodels.com, but outerramods.com is much cleaner.

Now it just needs to be filled up more.

They had a lot of unique items, though.....

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:03 am »

A quick snapshot. Not ready for alpha release, but it's starting to look good :)

M7

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »

Looking good!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:17 pm »

Great job, Acetone! Keep on!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 04:01:41 pm »

Great work Acetone, it looks really good!

Off topic: I notice that some lights are messed up on the Cessna in your video. And precisely those who are attached to joints; the rotary beacon light the tail navigation light.
That will happen when you remove the first spawned instance. If you do that, then Outerra must be restarted. It happens with the F-117 as well because some lights are attached to joints...
I really hope that this issue will be solved in the future.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12