Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Positive feedback and questions.  (Read 4236 times)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Positive feedback and questions.
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »

Hi!!!

This engine is awesome!!!

First some positive feedback.

1.- Flat trees looks... GREAT!!! (for flight simulation).

The "auto tracking" feature is so well implemented, that this flat meshes looks even better than those trees which looks like crosses when seen from above.

I realize they have a small amount of tracking tilt, so I can't notice they are flat even when i'm above them.

So, please, never remove the possibility of having this kind of trees, even if you implement 3d meshes.

What to improve?... There is only one tree texture (the rounded) wich looks to much tiled.

2.- Landscape textures looks awesome!!!

Perhaps is just my opinion, but using photography for landscapes looks nice just when you are flying really high.

When you are near to the ground (i prefer copters to planes) flat trees, flat houses, flat bridges, flat... everything, looks ugly and weird.

3.- This is a question. Is not clear to me if you are selling the game "anteworld" game or the outerra engine.

In your licence agreements you establish that no one can sell any thing based on outerra, or made for outerra; am I right? So I guess is not the engine. Are you going sell it some day? Have you offered it to FSX, X-PLANE or DCS companies? (DCS have the best planes and the ugliest sceneries, and they are reinventing the wheel with their EDGE engine, when they could be using this).

The future of flight simulation is already here, but we can't use it. It's frustrating fly over those (compared to outerra) ugly scenarios.

If you are not selling this engine, and is just for the Anteworld, I would like to know the tematic for this game, so if I model 3d stuff, i'll be shure it can be implemented as a mod... or something.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really excited about this engine.  ;D

Best regards!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:02:26 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Positive feedback and questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:36:26 am »

Thanks for your kind words ;)
Flat trees will always remain as the last level of detail, and 3D trees will have adjustable range, and it will be possible to adjust the quality so that only the flat ones remain, for people that want to save some perf for other things.

Anteworld is currently serving mainly as a demo of the engine, right now it's little more than a sandbox environment. It's mainly meant as an early access to the technology, but ultimately it should become a full game as well, since it also serves us as a test bed for all features that an engine has to have before it can be used by third party developers. Basically, when the game is completed, the engine could probably be released into open as well, as soon as all the docs are in etc.

Until then the only possibility how the engine could be used for a product is with our direct participation on the project. We haven't offered it to anyone, though many companies from the flight sim world approached us already. Unfortunately, these were mainly ones that were only toying with the idea of making a new flight sim product, but their existing business is mostly reselling addons and/or hardware, therefore little experience with complex software development and often also unreasonable requirements.

Companies making X-plane or DCS or Prepa3d - I can't really imagine any of them going against their own engine development, the internal resistance would be too high even if all their customers wanted the change. Also the amount of legacy tools and auxiliary stuff makes it highly improbable. Trying to incorporate OT tech into their existing software would be almost impossible.

In the end, unless a competent developer with sufficiently allocated funding would show up, probably the only viable way to accelerate development of a simulator is crowd funding, that would allow us to build a dedicated development team here working with the core engine in parallel. Some of possibilities with Outerra were described in this Avsim topic.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:24:55 am »

Still no luck with the Flightsim guys?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:14:21 pm »

I would love to see this baby flying ouTERRA there, but I sense copyright troubles, because its from the movie Blue Thunder, which belongs to Columbia Stars (although the movie is pretty old). Why is people uploading Star Wars stuff... is it legal?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:09:51 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:01 am »

... its the model creation ... if the creator is in ok whyte it, its no problem ... a way out of it is re-modelling it yourself from scratch, witch then would be your work and your choice of usage ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

... its the model creation ... if the creator is in ok with it, its no problem ... a way out of it is re-modelling it yourself from scratch, witch then would be your work and your choice of usage ...

Oh, actually I'm modelling this... This is an old render. Now I'm modeling the High Poly for baking the normal maps. The problem could be with Columbia Pictures... ¿or not?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:50:25 pm by KW71 »

ddenn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 01:52:36 pm »

Don't worry, I think as long as you didn't start making money (and a big ones) no big company give a damn.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian