Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Entirely new planet?  (Read 11974 times)

Darth_Biomech

Entirely new planet?
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:19 am »

I got curious by Outerra's mentioned ability to fill in low-res data with procedural generation of details "up to centimeters". So I wonder, how far it could stretch in another direction of macro objects, like mountains. Need to clear up some things, before I decide to purchase full version or it is won't work the way I want it.
The point is - I have fairly low-res (only 4096x8192) elevation texture map for a planet for my pet project (diffuse can be seen here), so I wondered, is it possible right now to load up that map instead of Earth's elevation map, and let engine generate finer details further from that? And, by extension, it is possible to extract that higher resolution data, or at least some area of it into file or 3d mesh?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Entirely new planet?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »

I got curious by Outerra's mentioned ability to fill in low-res data with procedural generation of details "up to centimeters". So I wonder, how far it could stretch in another direction of macro objects, like mountains. Need to clear up some things, before I decide to purchase full version or it is won't work the way I want it.
The point is - I have fairly low-res (only 4096x8192) elevation texture map for a planet for my pet project (diffuse can be seen here), so I wondered, is it possible right now to load up that map instead of Earth's elevation map, and let engine generate finer details further from that? And, by extension, it is possible to extract that higher resolution data, or at least some area of it into file or 3d mesh?

Dont know if its enough resolution, but i think the best guys to ask are the MEDEM boys at theyr forum pages. They got all the exp. whyte the MiddleEarth planet section. - worlds.outercraft.com/forum/index.php
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »

8192 pixel wide elevation map used on planet of Earth's radius would have resolution of around 5km. While the procedural algorithms would refine it down to centimeters anyway, it won't look like Earth or like anything much actually, because the existing algorithms are tuned for features below 100 meters, and can't generate erosion patterns and terrain details that are missing from your coarse map.

Also, even the base map that looks good in 2D relief usually needs to be corrected for 3D, once you see it. Generating elevation data that look good in 3D is quite laborious process, and right now there are no helpers in OT that would simplify it.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:23 pm »

I've been waiting a LONG time to be able to do this.  I had height maps back in 2010 that I "thought" might be good enough because I thought they were high enough resolution ... then cameni broke my heart :P.

Just be patient.

God may have created the world in 6 days, but for us mere mortals, it's going to take a LOT longer.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

NAIMA

• N A I M A
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 03:45:04 am »

I would really love something like that, I have a 16 k heightmap with maps I made for my own planet idea, but I was wondering whats the size involved in Outerra to have a belieaveable resolution ? Is there any plan in the work to allow custom made maps ? May be even an editor tile by tile allowing to upload 16 k maps for tiles here and there?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:14 pm »

OT is currently tuned to input data in below 100m resolution. A 16k x 8k heightmap would correspond to a planet with ~250km radius (compared to 6378 km for Earth).

NAIMA

• N A I M A
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »

So 1 pixel is 100 m?

Is it possible to upload my own map in outerra ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:21:06 am »

We can process the data for you, if they are in the right format. The setup process and importing is nontrivial at the moment.

The right format is data in geographic projection, possibly using some tiled scheme. Raw (zipped) elevation data or hf2/hfz format.
Color and vegetation data in png format, can be lower resolution than elevation data. Vegetation data basically tell what % of the area is covered by vegetation, and can be put into the alpha channel.

NAIMA

• N A I M A
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »

So a simple raw heightmap , whats the actual size?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:24:05 am »

Width to height 2:1 (geographic projection), resolution - whatever big you want it to be. Planet size derives from that, assuming 100m/pix.