Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Google Cardboard  (Read 8814 times)

kosmopol

Google Cardboard
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »

Hey people, firstly I am really glad about recent updates with clouds and other great specifications.
I just wanna share with you my experiences with running Outerra via Google Cardboard.
It actually runs, even if not smoothly, and quality depends on mirroring client.

I use Kainy to mirror my desktop to my smartphone, inserted into Googe Cardboard. Fortunately Outerra has possibility to switch to side-by-side mode with Alt+Semicolon (for German users out there, due of different keyboard mapping this hotkey works with Alt+Ö for me).

Anyway, the SbS quality is good:

but the quality and speed depends also on your online connection. If you know another apps to mirror smoothlier to smartphone, or even a possibility to use a smartphone as external display (which perhaps would earn HD quality), feel free to post here.

Next step will be tracking of gyroscope data from my phone to PC with toos like FreePIE, and if this works, it would be really cool and cheap (even if not qualitatively equal) Ersatz of Oculus Rift.

aWac9

Re: Google Cardboard
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:46:21 am »

looks good
technique to view 3D without glasses

2eyed

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 04:10:24 am »

I use Kainy to mirror my desktop to my smartphone, inserted into Googe Cardboard. Fortunately Outerra has possibility to switch to side-by-side mode with Alt+Semicolon (for German users out there, due of different keyboard mapping this hotkey works with Alt+Ö for me).

You seem to be from Austria :D(alt+Ö). For me it's alt+Ü.
Stereoscopic 3d with OT is terrific, but with a suitable 3d Monitor (e. g. Asus 278h) it'a much better experience than a HMD like the Rift. Trust me, I also have a DK2 and it's not good enough for OT. Resolution is what matters here.

kosmopol

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:52:33 am »

@aWac9

Thank you, I also time to time use this method, just my eyes get tired very quickly, so I always have only pair minutes to enjoy this experience. But I works.

Stereoscopic 3d with OT is terrific, but with a suitable 3d Monitor (e. g. Asus 278h) it'a much better experience than a HMD like the Rift. Trust me, I also have a DK2 and it's not good enough for OT. Resolution is what matters here.

Yes, fully agree! Google Cardboard method is the cheapest and has even more the issue, that the visual data is streamed via net, so it doesn't reach the quality of original not only because of the display, but also because of data traffic...
3d Monitor seems to be an interesting solution, I'll check it out also (beside the price of monitor and 3d glasses is almost like DK2). It looks like the best, direct way of 3d rendering.

The middle way would be for me the possibility to transfer PC image to my smartphone in another way than via net, so my HD phone display quality could match the original quality. Still there is at the moment no solution with HDMI-transfer PC>phone.

josem75

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »

@aWac9

Thank you, I also time to time use this method, just my eyes get tired very quickly, so I always have only pair minutes to enjoy this experience. But I works.

Yes, fully agree! Google Cardboard method is the cheapest and has even more the issue, that the visual data is streamed via net, so it doesn't reach the quality of original not only because of the display, but also because of data traffic...
3d Monitor seems to be an interesting solution, I'll check it out also (beside the price of monitor and 3d glasses is almost like DK2). It looks like the best, direct way of 3d rendering.

The middle way would be for me the possibility to transfer PC image to my smartphone in another way than via net, so my HD phone display quality could match the original quality. Still there is at the moment no solution with HDMI-transfer PC>phone.

Interesting topic.
We hava actually tons of phones with hd, full hd and even 4k resolution. Would be posible a way for do google cardboard directly to the phone? 
The idea of streaming i dont like because u depend on the internet servers speed. But i dont know if there is a method for see ur computer in the pc via cable or so. And wich model or technology require.
I say that coz i am about to buy a new mobile with a good screen (like all have actually since middle range).  Maybe u can build a 3d method with full hd, even 2k or 4k?? (dont know if u can put ur resolution in the phone if he is 4k but but ur momitor is only 1k).

greetings

kosmopol

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:34 am »

@josem75

you're right, the issue is in the way of visual transmission to the smart phone... I wonder if we can use HDMI (or recently MHD) in another way than phone>TV. If it would be possible, Google Cardboard would be very nice toy, since the GC stereo-apps for smartphone in HD are pretty convincing (I just say "rollercoaster"  :P)

I found meanwhile btw. another program for android, which supports stereoscopic view and gyroscope tracking to PC:
http://intugame.com/

Right now head movement tracking works good, but stereoscopic view is still not achieved (you have 2d-picture in your stereo device, but you can at least look around). As programmers wrote me, they are working on stereo solution, so I'll stay tuned. Sure, it isn't the HD-way directly, it's via server installed on your PC and your smartphone, but it worked for me at smoothliest compared to another mirroring servers.

CptFoo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

Guys, you just NEED to check out Trinus Gyre http://oddsheepgames.com/trinus/! The server is free, there is a demo version of the app. Trust me, this is THE SHIT :D

Just my two cents

Edit: It also has support for multiple head tracking frameworks, lense correction and such :)