Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weight and Ballance  (Read 16425 times)

bomber

Re: Weight and Ballance
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:19 am »

The Ask-13 is as you say just a proof of aerodynamic concept,

A flight model consists of 3 parts

1) Weight & Ballance
2) Aerodynamics
3) Thruster

By not having the engine, errors in my thinking of what occurs in No.1 and No.2 become clearer, which helped ensure I wasn't misleading myself.

I'm up for any plane, maybe the cesna, as we could then compare ? I would prefer a piston/prop combination as there's a whole raft of issues surrounding both the creation of the engine and prop which people have to get their heads around.... plus there's the posibitly of gaining interest in improving this part of the JSBsim C++ code.

With regards Automatic backend generation I'm all for, but not at present as I think it needs to be kept all manual untill we've a cross section of planes.

Regards

Simon

That Ask-13 flight model does still have some compromises in it..... unlike the one on my hard drive, which I think should be issued if you're flying this plane.

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:21 am »

Hi Simon,

By not having the engine, errors in my thinking of what occurs in No.1 and No.2 become clearer, which helped ensure I wasn't misleading myself.

We can do initial testing with engine throttle norm set to 0, and 0 fuel contents if necessary, and then expand the flight testing envelope as we debug and deterine the flight characteristics.

The Cesna 172 would be the perfect test platform, as we don't need to concern ourselves with modelling and scripting the basic functionality and we'll be able to directly compare flight data. Plus Levi's light mod will be released in the next OT update so it will really be a complete aircraft. I flew it today, and the flight characteristics aren't bad, but definitely far from what we can do.

Sounds fine, I am already developing the basic generation code, and it can be adopted for any use for various kinds of FDMs including helicopters.

Regards,
Uriah

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:56 am »

The Cesna 172 would be the perfect test platform, as we don't need to concern ourselves with modelling and scripting the basic functionality and we'll be able to directly compare flight data. Plus Levi's light mod will be released in the next OT update so it will really be a complete aircraft. I flew it today, and the flight characteristics aren't bad, but definitely far from what we can do.

That's what I was about to suggest. Simple aircraft, obviously very popular wich means more data avaiable.

About the ASK-13, I was wondering if it's possible to apply additionnal progressive horizontal and vertical forces to let the player simulate assisted take-off and thermals effects, since Outerra doesn't really have any air simulation ATM. For example, binding these on trim keys (not used on the ASK-13, if I remember correctly). A progressive force will be applied when you press the key, allowing you to simulate the horizontal force created by a cable pulling the aircraft (trim left, for example), an ascending force like a thermal (trim up) or a low pressure area (trim down).
Sorry if this suggestion is kind of naive, my JBSIM knowledge is rather limited. The only way I've found to make the ASK-13 gain altitude during flight is to use the flight option window ("ù" key) to artificialy increase speed during a small period of time, allowing me to climb a bit.

Regards,
Acetone

bomber

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:31:45 am »

I believe jsbsim has a functionality you require inbuilt as standard.... All we need to do is set the properties to non zero values, and a nice 2d control panel with sliders wouldn't go amiss
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:18 am »

I'm a bit vague on this as well. I understand that JSBsim can simulate wind forces, but is it actually "talking" to Outerra while doing this? Could an accurate ridge lift with existing terrain be possible?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 04:47:40 am »

the talking to Outerra isn't an issue, it's just a poperty value.. Like turning lights on an off, a bit of java code for changing wind speed direction  through change in alt, updated oscillation values etc...

Ridge lift... well if Outerra can do shadows from a light source... then consider the use of a 'black' sun that cast an unseen shadow, that could be used like a colour map within java code to determine ridge lift values....

What we need is for Cameni or someone from the outerra team to talk about user created 2d GUI's as a front end, a vector map using inkscape sending parameters to code.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:50:50 am by bomber »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:46 am »

You keep saying "java". Several times I was actually confused if you mean a standalone Java app, like that javafoil thing, or an in-game (HTML) window that uses Javascript to talk to the engine.

We can make a way for some "plugin" html widgets that will open on a shortcut while bound to an aircraft/vehicle, just like the alt+e script editor currently does. The window will have access to the JS interface of the bound vehicle, and therefore to the underlying JSBSim instance as well.

bomber

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:28 am »

Sorry to confuse Cameni..... I mean your second meaning...

Could we not create a vector diagram thus having influence over the look and feel... i happen to have some gui artwork specifically for a wwii sim..

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:14 am »

Whatever that can be created as a html page. If there's an online page that already visualizes graphs the way you want, it should be easy to reuse or implement a similar one, with added engine interface calls to set properties accordingly.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »

That would be really awesome! Aircraft parameters could be set with a simple GUI instead of reloading the script. Thanks!

Regards,
Uriah
Pages: 1 [2]