Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Tracks  (Read 3741 times)

PRiME

Tracks
« on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »

I have a idea on how you Outerra guys can add tracks/treads into game, you may already know this way if you've used blender.

I will produce a video to demostrate what I mean in blender if needed, but basically you can use the blender bezier curve/circle function to define the area&direction of a track, then have Outerra function similar to how blender works and that is run a polygon (TRACK bits) along this curves path and as Outerra engine does this it defines that track bit in an array similar to how wheelparam works (allowing modder to access it and adjust parameters etc...).

The track would be initiated by script to define 1) track spacing 2) number of bits 3) other standard wheel params. By having a trackparam function you can then combined it with wheelparam to either setup suspension bits that move but don't interact with the ground, and also be able to define additional wheels for the purpose of creating HALF-TRACK vehicles.

Like I said I will show video of how it works in blender and is quite clever, you can use this in blenders game engine to create a functioning tank and track system and I think it would be perfect for Outerra. Each track bit is basically treated like a wheel but outerra can move/transform it along the bezier curve just like how you do it in blender.

PS. let me know what you think, perhaps I'm just rambling and don't know what I'm talking about? or the idea is old?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:35:52 am by PRiME »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:36 am »

What we want to do is to automatically compute fitting closed curve around the given set of wheels, and instantiate track links along it. Track will animate with the wheels too.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:52 am »

What we want to do is to automatically compute fitting closed curve around the given set of wheels, and instantiate track links along it. Track will animate with the wheels too.

But you had to specify tracks-segment connection joints and its length/amount. Also, would that approach allow breaking the track and potentially lead it off due to the leading wheel still rotating (if any part of it is still going trough it) ? Actually, the same is sometimes used during maintenance/long transportation (when they drag the tank/IFV by an other vehicle on just its wheels to conserve the track life-time and road asphalt (rubber-fitted tracks are another story there - they use them just for short distances, or if they are in danger of falling under enemy fire for some reason) - just like the T-34 had rubber outer-wheel coverage, just for that purpose). Would like to have his little detail functionality, especially for tech-evacuation purposes, or boarding and fitting them on train-wagons (its kinda like aerial refueling difficulty maneuver for tracked vehicles). Probably a potentially interesting thing for army tech simulators too.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:02 am »

Yes, it would require some detection or extra info of how to precisely instantiate them. I've got some samples of track links from murkz:

I probably need just the axes to be oriented in a fixed scheme, and a distance between the joints. The number of links can be computed from the length of the curve, + some relaxation number. I guess the curve could be also broken into an open one, to make it lay on the ground.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:33 pm »

Thats great news Cameni !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:35 pm »

If I buy the game a few more times does that make that happen any faster?

DOES IT!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo