News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: LODs  (Read 3778 times)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
LODs
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »

Hi, another question about LODs. I apology if this have been already answered, but I'm completely neophyte on this. (I posted this in other forum (http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2321.msg34472#msg34472), but so far no answer).

1.- Are LOD distances settings handled:

- General for all objects?
- By category (let's say trees can have different settings than the vehicles, for example)?
- Per object?

2.- Can an object show different lods at the same time? Let's say I set a very short distance for the first LOD (2 mts), the nearest wheels of a truck are showed whit more detail than the farest.

3.- Does the engine have to process al the elements of a vehicle, whether they are on the screen or not? For example, if a wheel is out of the screen, being part of the vehicle, is still being rendered / processed?

I appreciate any guidance.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

angrypig

Re: LODs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:37:03 pm »

1.- Are LOD distances settings handled:

- General for all objects?
- By category (let's say trees can have different settings than the vehicles, for example)?
- Per object?

It's per object, it's computed from lod_curve and lod_curve1 parameters in objdef file. They represent object LOD0  and LOD1 screen size and rest of LODs are computed from these two values. We are working on tools that will allows you to tune this parameters in real-time but it will take some time...

Here is example how it looks for values 850/300 and 850/600.

2.- Can an object show different lods at the same time? Let's say I set a very short distance for the first LOD (2 mts), the nearest wheels of a truck are showed whit more detail than the farest.

Currently LOD is computed one for whole object. We will change it in the future because it's no enough for large objects like spaceships or buildings but can't tell you how it will works...

3.- Does the engine have to process al the elements of a vehicle, whether they are on the screen or not? For example, if a wheel is out of the screen, being part of the vehicle, is still being rendered / processed?

Currently all object/vehicle geometry is rendered if part of the object is visible. Currently we are culling out small meshes but we will improve this in the future.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:03 pm »

Thanks, Angrypig. This info will help me to take decisions when modeling.

"Currently all object/vehicle geometry is rendered if part of the object is visible. Currently we are culling out small meshes but we will improve this in the future."

So, when you improve this, if the pilot is inside the cockpit, we won't have to worry for poly count in the exterior, because these meshes won't be processed, right?
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

angrypig

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:12:17 pm »

So, when you improve this, if the pilot is inside the cockpit, we won't have to worry for poly count in the exterior, because these meshes won't be processed, right?[/size]

Yes.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:29:53 pm »

I get it! Thanks again.