Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: So whut tha' heck is this?  (Read 62413 times)

bomber

Re: So whut tha' heck is this?
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

In a way I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way, no one likes to be 'Billy no mates'...

One of the problems I had/have is the intended nature of the 'business model' of the NexGen flightsim entity.. It's as if at the end of the day, NexGen will have procured a licence to build and create a flight sim call 'whatever simulation' that is purchased and played offline or online. The talk of a kickstarter and money for development costs all seem to me as though the goal is to create a development house which takes a raw world engine product and molds it to their requirements, putting add-ons here there and everywhere.

It's as if there's and extra entity involved

World Engine Developer
 ----> Flight Simulation developer  <----
          Moding/Player Community

I wonder if this business model is somehow connected to the way Microsoft flightsim mods are created ?

We all know the state of flight sim production, it's stagnant..there's nothing new... and the reason being is that it's just not financially viable for either a World Engine Developer or Flight Simulation Developer to deliver the product 'straight out of the box' that a 'player' community demands for it's bucks...

In my opinion those that try will fail..... it's too small a market and those that are in it are just too damn picky...

So there has to be a new business model, we know of successful moding communities and they're quite a force to be reckoned with. Potentially it's a workforce that has a passion for the product and because they're spread throughout the world, you've got production through a 24 hour cycle.... it's a 24Hr virtual design house with next to know costs, communicating on Skype and via the cloud.

The problem I see it is being bold enough to set this up, because its always going to be fluid... A World Engine Developer would see his product having a 'risk' that the contents are being created by non-employees, that exist only on a forum. And their productivity would seem to be linked directly to 'good will' between themselves and the World Engine Developers. Requiring the World Engine Developers to adjust their preferred development priorities into some kind of alignment with this non-employee workforce.....

So if you looked at the Developer/Moding community business model through the eyes of a 20th century businessman you'd probably run away screaming, as to you it'd be incomprehensible. Just look at the 'loyalty' that seems to grow towards the Engine Developers from it's moding community, you never see that between employee and employer.

I genuinely think that the 21st century Developer/Moding business model if bold enough to grab, would create the next internet sensation and create an action packed virtual facebook style world.

pipe dream.... possibly
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:42:14 pm by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2015, 12:59:04 pm »

And all caused by that simple economic fact, that they can get just as many spending money, as there will be people interested in it ( Damn kids nowadays ! Should be learning playing with sticks instead of that FPS computer crap ! So much easyer to get to a real pilot stick, when they now, how sticks work !  =D ). Yet a project of a deep simulation character takes much more effort and time than even top AAA shooter games. From hours at physics code, trough hours at e-mails and telephone for gaining technical documentation to figuring out how to interest a more broad audience, keeping it technical ... such gigantic work, yet not really profitable enough for that effort. Especially, when next-gen pushes the boundaryes of visuals and simulation quality almost a little bit too far for the smaller anticipating sim audience. And all the work just for a single plane, whyle we want all of them !

... how i see it, it well may end up in hardcore devs, like those in DCS (doing it just for the heck of theyr enjoyment of working on it, balancing on the edge of existence) or transformation of this whole genre to projects actually used in real-world pilot training equipement/services, trough the industry/military, that will be visually up-lifted by a lot, then modified and sold for aditional funding to civilian sim-game-use (witch would probably be a mess in modding and standards/licencing terms).

Well need to start a world-wide specialized simulator-creating super-corporation and engage the big-money government arms-sales EWERYWHERE! Then send a few wagons of hard-lobbyed ... ehm -earned cash the OT-team and sim-devs. (dibs on the name OuterHeaven)

Doe, statistics-department has bad news:

- Aircrafts are loosing to tanks 350 : 3400 =|
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2015, 01:27:36 pm »

Keep in mind that quite a bit of the functionality required for a flight simulator may be things also desired by TitanIM.......
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:49 pm »

Funk yeah.. TANKS!!

I'm a ground warfare type guy. The only thing I want to see in the air is airships. Huge, slow airships.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

HiFlyer

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2015, 05:50:56 pm »

Funk yeah.. TANKS!!

I'm a ground warfare type guy. The only thing I want to see in the air is airships. Huge, slow airships.

I think a lot of us without Acetones patience just want the tools to be a bit more advanced so we can start building cities and towns....  ;)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2015, 02:26:33 pm »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »

I think a lot of us without Acetones patience just want the tools to be a bit more advanced so we can start building cities and towns....  ;)

When the new editor will be out and when OSM support will be up, making a city (if adding buildings is enough) will be possible in a few hours. 70/80% of the time I spend on sceneries is road placement :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »

When the new editor will be out and when OSM support will be up, making a city (if adding buildings is enough) will be possible in a few hours. 70/80% of the time I spend on sceneries is road placement :)

Yup! Also a wide-area flatten tool........

I would also like houses to be able to auto-flatten (or exclude) their own bases when placed, so that trees wont inter-penetrate/grow out of the middle of them when you increase the tree density.

HiFlyer

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17:11 am »

The first period is almost the most exciting. Everyone wants to work for the dream. But some days they will wake up and could lose interest in that project.
I never heard that unigene has capabitlities for supporting planets. But thats none of my business.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 02:17:59 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/18/the-flare-path-loos-cannon/

"There was a time when this column would trumpet news of a potential MS Flight Simulator replacement/successor from the rooftops. Years of stalled projects and unfulfilled promises have taught us to be a bit more circumspect. Nowadays we tend to do our trumpeting from atop beer crates, milking stools, and molehills.

The following three paragraphs come to you from the summit of a deceased tortoise.

An outfit called Next Generation Interactive Software is the latest in a fairly long line of developers keen to “put away the old and build the future of flight simulation using a platform that will continue to keep abreast with the rapidly changing world of software development tools and the hardware that runs them.” The platform in this instance is Unigine, an engine that’s been batting its eyelashes at flight simmers since late 2013.

NGIS appear to be at the very start of their developmental journey. There’s no evidence of coding progress or asset work as yet. All the lovely screenshots on the NGIS site seem to come from existing Unigine demos. Only time will tell whether a team that optimistically describes itself as “the flight sim community” has the skill, will, manpower, organisational acumen and cash to carry through a project that already – going by the extensive ‘feature list’ – looks dangerously amorphous.

Sadly, the Flare Path doesn’t have infinite supplies of Hope. Having squandered bushels of the stuff on previous prospective FSX/X-Plane eclipsers, we wish NGIS luck but won’t be emotionally investing in ‘Next Generation Flight Simulator’ until its makers reveal concrete progress and introduce a little hard-nosed realism into their worryingly Dovetailian publicity campaign."

bomber

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2015, 08:04:59 am »

This isn't that bad an article, it sums up the apathy within the general flight sim community to news of 'the next best thing'.. it's the same within combat flight sims, having personally invested my emotional energy upon hearing news of 'the next best B17 sim'... if I was to graph a spread of response it'd go from 'hard nosed' to 'down right hostile'

Creating a flight sim and combat flight sim requires lot of 'ducks' to be lined up but the reality is that there's always more work to be done, more ducks out of line... more ammunition that is supplied to disenchanted flight sim 'enthusiasts' with a web site to fire back at you.

I agree with most of what Next Gen write, heck 6+ years ago over at Targetware (vapourware) I was writing the same stuff that big business weren't interested as it's a no win situation as the flight sim community is so negative to new releases, requiring a 'complete fully featured' sim right out of the box, and heaven help us if it's got a the odd bug or two.

I want OT to step up into the BIG LEAGUES of flight simming, but those ducks are all over the place and need aligning, but where do you start ?.. If you look at flight along it's history there's very few ducks that need aligning for the early days of flight, but as technology advances into the jet age with advanced avionics of a commercial airliner and fighter the requirements are huge... If you dip your toe into the early days you run the risk of OT being labeled a 'low and slow' flight sim and that's a very niche market, if you start in the jet age you run the risk of being accused of doing only half a job.

My gut lets me to stay away from the commercial airliners, as it so relaxed in the cockpit it just allows people to look around and take a note of all that is missing and then come onto a forum and post about it...

Instead keep em really active in the cockpit, flying and dodging incoming stuff, whilst looking at the scenery. But not just in a single era of flight but instead over multiple era's, and remember we're talking about an initial 'showcase' release... A release to fire the imagination of OT's potential and drown out any criticism of missing features by 'enthusiasts'.

This is my suggestion…. (think of the terrain as a series of rings)

We create a terrain with a single grass airfield in the centre, a typical airfield in 1917 France and a single bi-plane. It’s early in the morning, there’s a bit of ground mist, you take off and fly above it and there revealed in front of you is the flat French countryside with little hamlets and villages spread around.  As you fly further from the centre in the distance you notice a dark smudge and you fly towards it. The smudge becomes the front line trenches you fly over, taking steady incoming fire from small arms and the odd AAA burst, you drop a few bombs on them, that’ll keep them busy.  The ground becomes more rolling hills.. Suddenly a AAA burst explodes right in front of you and you come out the other side….. it’s mid morning but in a Beaufighter and it’s now 1943, the small arms fire has increased as well as the AAA and there are now tanks and half tracks and is that a train ?.... you look at your ordnance, rockets, bombs and 20mm cannon ‘Rhubarb and Custard’ time so you line up the train and fire… You continue to fly outwards towards the growing mountain range and again a large AAA burst explodes infront of you, you come through it in a fast jet at mid day… was that a ground to air missile that just flashed past the cockpit ?, ground fire and AAA is coming from below and the sides. It’s a proper mountain range and there’s a railway bridge that you fly under, the mountain sides close in to become a canyon and this is hairy flying with rock bridges above you and the wall whizzing past on either side. You continue to fly through the canyon the stars come out and the walls become more angular and are those lights ?  was that an ion cannon tracer ? and then it dawns on you, you’re flying a death star run and you’d better use the force.

I like the above because it doesn’t favour one era or one section of our fledgling community above the other .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:07:38 am by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2015, 09:19:33 am »

Yeah, I agree with you, I posted the article because it has an interesting point of view, intelligent and moderate. I think what they say about this project can also be applied to Outerra (even if it's probably one step further, I've seen less "we'll see when it has content" and more "it's starting to look interesting" these days).

There is this funny thing with Outerra where everyone look at it and see something different. I don't think Outerra will ever be the "Next Major Flight Simulator Platform", because I don't believe there will ever be one, like it was the case in the FS era. The true thing is, a lot of things can be done with it, and what it will become depends equally on the dev's choices and what we do with the engine. I think it has already be proven that both are influencing each other, and that's why we have currently this good dynamic.

It can will be a lot of things, but the most interesting part of putting a foot on the Moon is how you do it :)

(Oh, and as I've already said, count me in if you want someone to do your WWI - II airfields)

bomber

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2015, 10:19:39 am »

Flight sim community is kinda like Saurons eye, its sweeping the landscape looking, these guys have made a big noise and as such got noticed. Outerra has slipped under its gaze and crept up on it, like iccle hobitsis..  But that gaze will fall on us and I think it's better to have a plan.

HiFlyer

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2015, 11:04:12 am »

Flight sim community is kinda like Saurons eye, its sweeping the landscape looking, these guys have made a big noise and as such got noticed. Outerra has slipped under its gaze and crept up on it, like iccle hobitsis..  But that gaze will fall on us and I think it's better to have a plan.

The gaze has already fallen, but as well as the occasional bursts of hope and interest, there are the forces of cynicism and out of control skepticism (and just sheer inertia) that automatically wager against change.

Time will tell.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9