Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Evaluation of 30m elevation data in Outerra  (Read 31365 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Evaluation of 30m elevation data in Outerra
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »

I know just the place to test this!
(After reading the post, it doesn`t seem all that usefull...)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:13:43 pm by John514 »
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:38:39 pm »

Great news, Brano! That is the fact that the coastal segments will be exact a little bit,
or now am I mistaken? ::)
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

aWac9

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:07 pm »

fantastic. a breakthrough high detail.
Chief ... you're always flying tests should be nudist beaches. :)

josem75

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »

For me the differences are big. Coverall if i see the 90m Pics and 30m Pics in the Blog. The shape of the mountains change drastically, like when you have the 30 M result you are seeing is more of the real life shape, and 90 add other science fiction shapes changing the real morphology (this actually you can see when you isit known places).
But for see better those effects we all users should see our known places in 30m. Then we can compare to Real, better.

What i would do is a experimental version paralell to the normal version, where you can run outerra in 30m or 90m. So we can test all the areas in those months and see how real looks the mountains shapes compared with 90m. And report all the bugs for make the corrections.
Maybe with the time you also change or refine the algorithms a bit for the 30m, because with double resolution are not needing overreact in slopes as with 90 m.

We can have a torrent download and as i suggested time ago, control the folder where those data are. We can open our torrent program for share the data and at same time use the data for play.
I say that for avoid your servers from saturation. I dont know if they are prepared for on the fly downloads for each part of the earth you are visiting, while the data now is 4 times higher.
IF its not a problem you can keep this posibility. Just the user will wait a bit more for download while surfing the earth.. With this posibility people can download just the parts of the earth they play or live, so they dont need so much hard drive space for enjoy the higher resolution.  (my case, i would download the entire 40 Gb for sure).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:52:24 pm by josem75 »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:47 pm »

Really interesting, it seems like it also makes a lot of difference in the areas with small and flat hills (visible in the beginning of the video). These areas are completely flat in the current dataset.
Nice work :D

josem75

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:50 pm »

Really interesting, it seems like it also makes a lot of difference in the areas with small and flat hills (visible in the beginning of the video). These areas are completely flat in the current dataset.
Nice work :D

I agree. Change drastically. the detail added is huge. And more important. What we see is surelly closer to real life. Your Sceneries will look almost real :p   
note for people: See differences between the stairs mountains formation in the left in second 14, and after when is covered with 30m..  How natural looks.. awesome.

Casuality. Those days i was checking the 30m SRTM status.

http://www.digital-geography.com/announcement-realease-worldwide-high-resultion-srtm-data-30m/#.VWYwFc_tlBc

I was seeing we have almost all. And thinking maybe outerra can check a lot of parts. (it seems those guys are always silently in the action, and they was already doing that) xD.
In July will come also China and Japan, and in septembre Northeast africa.
We can actually enjoy and check almost all the earth. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:25:16 pm by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:28:08 pm »

Nice. When it comes, first thing I am going to do is wander the world to catalog any interesting Anomalies and explore out of the way areas!

Will also be interesting to see if there are any effects on road placement . .....
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »

Watched video in 0.5x to explore the extent of changes to the fullest  8)

That's really awesome, keep it up!

bomber

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:22:35 pm »

Yeh but what do the white cliffs of Dover look like...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:48:42 pm »

Nice. When it comes, first thing I am going to do is wander the world to catalog any interesting Anomalies and explore out of the way areas!

Will also be interesting to see if there are any effects on road placement . .....

I could be wrong, but I'd assume they haven't implemented the auto-adjust to terrain yet, so it might end up a bit weird.  But it'll still be a while before we actually get it anyways, I think.

(and omg we have a delete post button now...  :o)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:14 pm »

I was wondering how other sims overcome the smoothing issue, and it seems maybe they don't. There were some pictures shown of DCS Nevada, with their new engine, and I was surprised to see noticeable smoothing of the type once described as "melted Ice Cream"

Outerra seems to have it even worse if the engine is over-fractalizing. (Hey! A new word I just made up!)

Is Outerra exclusively using free data sources? I would be surprised if there were not cleaned up commercial versions of a lot of this data out there, though it may cost an arm and a leg........

Anyway........ I would still like to see how the higher resolution data handles very recognizable places like Devils Tower Wyoming (of close encounters of the third kind fame)

Or some of the locations I posted in my thread about unusual places to visit.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:13:07 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »

The 30 dataset enhance drastically the feeling you are seeing actual mountains. And that is from the distance: upclose should look fantastic.

"30m sources can definitely serve to make a better 76m OT base world dataset, but I'm not certain if the increased detail alone justifies the threefold increase in size, compared to the 76/30 compilation (not to the original 76/90 one)".

Future proof:

I would bet for the 30m data. All we know, each year hard disk space and bandwidth is less a problem.  For example, when I contracted my current internet supplier, I had 2 Megas. After just five years my speed have been increased to 20, without paying any more. I know it may not be the case for everyone, but is a tendency.

If you can have them both, you could offer the 76/30 as an alternative.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »

Perhaps one of the other options once discussed would work. The higher resolution set(s) only available as a torrent, while the lower(s) remain  for streaming use.........?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 12:31:50 am »

Just leave an option in the menu. CHECK HERE TO USE 30m DATASET. I mean I presume most people and most games/mods that come out of the final product of outerra will not require the whole earth. Even Cameni and AngryPig combined probably only covered 5% of the land masses at full resolution  in all their time developing OT. The world is HUGE. The 12gb 90m dataset is enough for most and when the option for 30 is available it can stream in in the background and correct whereever you are in a few seconds. I believe Cameni said from any one spot on earth it was about 40MB of data to generate 360° around the user all the way to the visible horizon at ground level. We have to up that quite a bit but that is where the built in torrent protocol can come in. Many servers all sharing bits of data to fill every need in small chunks. 160MB vs 40MB for as far as the eye can see seems reasonable.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: [1] 2 3