Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: future of the game  (Read 26532 times)

fooff

future of the game
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:34 am »

Hello everybody :)
the engine is wonderful and very realistic and is quite funny to simply fly over or explore the world. but, i mainly decided to finance the project in order to see a game coming out of it. so i have to ask: there are any news about it? what are the plans for the game in the nearly future?

also, is there any chance it wont result in a survival type of game (like minecraft)? because there are literally hundreds of them and i would love to see this project differentiates from the others.
two of my favorite kind of games are strategic and management: wouldn't it be awesome to rise your cities, own lands, create armies and collaborate/make war with other people all around the earth simulated by the engine?

i know this would be a little bit more complicated cause you need to implement a lot more features, but think about the fact that today strategic games are almost absent on the scene, and this would probably be the first "all-map" strategic game, where you could zoom from a view of your entire kingdom, to a single citizen walking on the street.

i think i could kill for something like that XD

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: future of the game
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:36:02 am »

I was wondering myself if people weren't fed up with all the survival clones already. IMHO the game will have to have a different long-term focus. Not sure what the market is for a strategic game though, I'd personally prefer a combined fps-strategy game.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:28 am »

I was wondering myself if people weren't fed up with all the survival clones already. IMHO the game will have to have a different long-term focus. Not sure what the market is for a strategic game though, I'd personally prefer a combined fps-strategy game.

... no problem for me to have some competition to DDS, but on a broather SIM base trough trains, nawy and civil ground-vehicle base, but there was that Sci-fi return story ... whats up white that one ? Or will be there a inter-planetary game a separate thing once other planetrs will be implemented in masses ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

fooff

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:34:38 am »

Not sure what the market is for a strategic game though, I'd personally prefer a combined fps-strategy game.

What do you mean by fps-strategy game? something like arma?
Don't know if fps games are the best use of the engine, i mean, they don't usually need an exaggeratedly big map or the players will be too scattered (the map in arma is quite big but it's not the world XD). They rather need a detailed one. but maybe i didn't get the point with the strategic part you were saying.

Other kind of games that need a big map could be exploration games (like no man sky, but i personally think they'll get boring after a while), RPG (but you'll need to implement a loooot of new things and have a good story behind it, that's maybe too complex) and obviously simulation games (i don't really like them XD but the engine will fit properly)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:39:22 am by fooff »

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:54:30 am »

Not sure what the market is for a strategic game though, I'd personally prefer a combined fps-strategy game.

... like, making a tonn of units, giving them an order to attack enemy positions and then swap into FPS mode in one off those little tiny people and shoot or hack some stuff yourelve ... respawning into another of your units when dying ... there a medival game of such character would be interesting - like RomeTotalWar, just you can run like one of those little bastards and spike some people, or reload, aim and shoot a balista at structures yourselve. Doe, in the "to-grass" quality level of OT, combining FPS view white a mass-units war scenarios may be a great chalenge for modellers and blending.  ... also, using a tonn of units needs some quite simplified AI behaviour for having as less issues as possible, yet, in FPS mode, as more complicated and "smart" an AI is, the better, whyte also a lot of things to be able to do for a individual - witch in such masses, may lead to serious issues both in processing, and keeping a controlled manner in the flow of things, thise AIs do on individual level towards the given target ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:19 am »

Battlezone II was one of the games that managed to  combine fps with strategy, resulting in a game that could take place in relatively large environments, but you were controlling it from the FPS view. Imagine it with OT detail and scale ...

... no problem for me to have some competition to DDS, but on a broather SIM base trough trains, nawy and civil ground-vehicle base, but there was that Sci-fi return story ... whats up white that one ? Or will be there a inter-planetary game a separate thing once other planetrs will be implemented in masses ?

There wasn't meant to be an interplanetary game, the story as such is just a prelude to things going to happen on the planet.

SteelRat

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:30:58 am »

RU: Дайте нам возможности! А мы сделаем игру). Кому какую нужно, такую и сделаем).
Translate: Give us the opportunity! And we make a game). To what you need and we will do this).

fooff

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:43:05 pm »

Okei i think i got, even if i have never played battlezone II. It's an interesting idea :) do you think it would simply focus on battles or even on buildings construction, resource gathering and in general cities management?

Doe, in the "to-grass" quality level of OT, combining FPS view white a mass-units war scenarios may be a great chalenge for modellers and blending.  ... also, using a tonn of units needs some quite simplified AI behaviour for having as less issues as possible, yet, in FPS mode, as more complicated and "smart" an AI is, the better, with also a lot of things to be able to do for a individual - witch in such masses, may lead to serious issues both in processing, and keeping a controlled manner in the flow of things, thise AIs do on individual level towards the given target ...

That could be one of the problem of running a strategy game from a FPS prospective. The unit's graphic has to be highly detailed (at least like the current character in anteworld), with a smart AI scaled down to a single character. also it have to be fast and light to run or else it couldn't be possible to have big war scenarios.
I'm the Jon Snow of programming, but it doesn't seem a simple job to me.

The good thing about "classic" strategy game instead is that they are hardly ever focused on graphic (you might want to use a few polygons per unit), and AI is not so important if you plan to create a PvP game.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:56:29 pm by fooff »

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:30 pm »

The good thing about "classic" strategy game instead is that they are hardly ever focused on graphic (you might want to use a few polygons per unit), and AI is not so important if you plan to create a PvP game.

... true, but the modeling thing can be handled trough LODs, just blending might be a pain to set right ... as for the AI, i hope there will come something like it ... im ready to put the fate of our race by creating a real AI and put it in the game-box like a slave, risking its escape and warth if needed :D :D 

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:37 pm »

RIP Pandemic
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

LucasSACastro

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »

I would like a huge MMORPG.

cutterjohn

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 11:44:08 am »

You MAY be 'sick' of survival games, but I'm hella sick of 2 decades of samey FPS games.

Empyrion, ARK or space engineers type of game would be hellafun, or an open world RPG ala Morrowind(last one to truly use it's RPG mechanics).

aWac9

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:35 am »

Build cities and towns is in itself a game.
we need better tools and models and that the community can share their designs an easy way (like a puzzle, where I can make and assemble a sector to another)
Before we get further and uniform leveling of the ground surface (airports, residential areas etc.)
when we superimpose on other elements, the latter must prevail without any void. (road over and smoothed surfaces)
alignment of different elements by default (road or flat surfaces)
and all without breaking the mesh.
in my opinion, this would facilitate the construction of cities and airports.
any game need SDK and API for third parties to develop their projects.
if the idea is not good you can look at this photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awac9/23609133885/in/dateposted-public/

An example: we want to create within the airport Outerra Sedoma / Arizona) and a fantastic place to outerra appropriate. but we find many difficulties.
we will see the video, of what outerra, then reality and end another video of what we have to achieve

we have to come here, but not photorealistic images with outerra own models is undoubtedly the best

HiFlyer

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 09:45:38 am »

The Outerra team would likely benefit from a modeler and an artist. I've thought that for a long time. Not everything can be done with math. I'm very curious about the goats and the more animated soldiers in the TitanIm it/sec video, as they represent a very encouraging advance in capability.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:55:56 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:42:19 pm »

I think those were modeled Titan but we could benefit. :)

This beautiful "Sedona" airport has a problem .... below it is a cracker, is a huge octopus expected to make a mistake so that all this work is clear and boat overboard.
this problem is there and I am aware that all this work can be airborne, ,, "roads but not updated by creating Their Own - like an aging DNA"
In the previous post I mentioned,, but do not think it was important that we could have an option to choose or press a key to a job once finished, it could leave anchored or fixed, unable to move unless you want to undock . or at least edit state keep a previous motion.
It is like letting the octopus "Cracken" trapped without the possibility of release and David Jones to Jack Sparrow and can continue surfing the pearl .. peacefully.

another example
image apparently all is quiet:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awac9/23314586504/in/dateposted-public/

however,, the kraken lurking,, is actually beneath your feet.:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awac9/23834554552/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awac9/23647158190/in/dateposted-public/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:24:56 am by aWac9 »
Pages: [1] 2 3