Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Physics  (Read 3685 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Physics
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:19:26 pm »

I think the ability to spawn and pile boxes to crash through would make for some huge fun. This is the bullet physics engine afterall.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Physics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:50:32 pm »

I think the ability to spawn and pile boxes to crash through would make for some huge fun. This is the bullet physics engine afterall.

Unfortunately there's problem with that, Bullet works well with precomputed scenes, but dynamically generated terrain would kill it. That's why nothing but wheels collide with terrain at the moment, and that's via a special ray intersect code.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:32:34 pm »

Well that is unfortunate. Physics, real physics are going to be required at some point if you want to push anything big in this engine. I'm still waiting to throw a bowling ball down mt Everest.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

bomber

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »

Simple question,  but why not take jsbsim and push it.... You guy's are more than capable of extending its code for enhanced ground and water code...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »

What do you mean by enhanced ground and water code?

bomber

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »

Well I mean my Cessna has steerable wheels and an engine that delivers power.... the car on my drive also has an engine and steerable wheels but it aint a Cessna, yet they have a lot in common... in fact I wrote off a car once and it flew twice before coming to a stop.

yes jsbsim's ground handling isn't brilliant, but considering they've spent no effort on it at all it's a start....  jsbsim's ground contact can create some amazing bounces but, that again is because they've created the most basic ground handling they could get away with to get the plane in the air.

I'm saying that a C++ guy could concentrating on this missing element of jsbsim code create a realistic ground handling and power transmission from the engine via the gearbox to the wheels... such that an external force is applied at the point of contact.

Now take a plane.... it moves through a not very dense medium.... air, using a propeller..... using aileron and a rudder....... so does a submarine, accept that the medium is a lot more denser.

A ship floats.....but then again so does a balloon and jsbsim can do one of them.... so why not ballast tanks on a sub ?
A sail is basically a wing...a keel a rudder.... the similarities are there to see.

Actually given time (possibly years) I'll have a crack at all the above using 'systems' within jsbsim simply for the heck of it.... been a bit busy lately on rockets.. :)

My thoughts are that jsbsim does what it says on the tin.... but it doesn't have to do only what it says on the tin... with a bit of imagination and the ability to write C++ it could do a lot more for Outerra.

Simon

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:28:28 pm »

Modders can always make things do more than it says on the tin.  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro