Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: [Tutorial] Building a real runway in Outerra  (Read 8951 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
[Tutorial] Building a real runway in Outerra
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:25:18 am »

This tutorial was initially created by Uriah last night and extended with a few more tooltips by myself. I though he would post it but seems like he didn't, so here it is :)

1. Find the runway you want to create in Outerra in a aeronautical chart database, like Skyvector or AirNav.

2. Find the location of the runway you want to create in Outerra using the coordinates listed in this page. You'll need to remove the / so <N48°25.84' / W120°9.09'> will be added as <N48°25.84' W120°9.09'> directly in the search bar of the location browser (F2). Press enter.

GPS coordinates in the location browser and accurate placement at the runway

3. Without moving, open the Google Maps panel with 'G' key (or OSM with the 'M' key). If the data is correct, you should see that you are exactly at the start of the runway. You now have a correct location!

4. Open the road tool (F6). Go to the third tab (Lat/Lon). We will use this one to set the camera at the correct heading and elevation. Use your aeronautical chart webpage to find the runway elevation (right under where you found the coordinates). Note that this data is generally in feet, so you will need to convert it in meters before adding it in Outerra using the third slider. Press set and you should be at the correct altitude.

Lat/Lon tab in the road editor. It's easier to input precise data from here.

5. Save your location in the location browser, this will be useful to reload if you have a problem with the next step.

6. Still using the Lat/Lon tab in the Road tool, set the heading of your runway. Runway 13 will be oriented to 130 for example. Sometimes there are some problems with this value in Outerra, so you should keep Gmap (or OSM) open to see if you seems to have the correct orientation. When the little arrow in your map is heading in the same direction as the runway, you are good for the next step.

7. Open the Runway Tab in the road editor, and define the width and length from your aeronautical chart. I also suggest you to use a large transitional area value, to keep the area around your runway flat (will help a lot if you plan to create crossing runways).

8. Once you have defined all of the necessary parameters, just hit the Make button!

9.You can check the alignment by hitting Ctrl + Shift + G keys to overlay the Google Map on the world, adjust the transparency so you can see both the OT runway, and the Google runway, if they are out of alignment you can delete the runway and try again.

10. Fly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:29:25 pm by Acetone »

Woogey

Re: [Tutorial] Building a real runway in Outerra
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »

How do you adjust the transparency?  Is there a way to create concrete runways and parking aprons of the 10x10 foot Square variety.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:56:26 pm by Woogey »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:32:54 am »

How do you adjust the transparency?
Are you talking about transparency in map overlay mode? There is a small slider in the bottom left corner to adjust it.

Is there a way to create concrete runways and parking aprons of the 10x10 foot Square variety.
These? Not yet, but there will be custom textures support for roads at some point in the future, so these will be possible :)

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:12 am »

Press and hold the right mouse button on the slider on the bottom left

Woogey

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »

Thanks guys, I found the slider.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:05:50 pm »

there will be custom textures support for roads at some point in the future, so these will be possible :)

And I hope farmland textures and lots more. I mentioned a long time ago I think Outerra needs a dedicated texture artist, and I still do.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro