Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Weather?  (Read 5797 times)

FarlanderMiG

Weather?
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »

Hi, guys.. i was just wondering, how far do you want to go with weather? Do you want to simulate weather properly? For me this is a big question if one of the goals is to be a flight simulator. For us glider pilots weather is our lives, and for gliding to be fun in a simulator you will need some way to get lift.

We hoped that x-plane was going to be a good replacement to Condor, but it does not simulate thermals properly (not even close..) and the flight models are quite... strange..
any glider in x-plane will enter a flat-spin really fast..

My opinion is that implementing ridge lift is definitely the first thing that should be done, after that i would do thermals and at last i would do waves. But i would say that i would consider it pretty solid even without simulation of waves.. But like said ridge lift and thermals is definitely a must.

Im just interested in what other people think about it? does it matter, or does it not matter to you?  :)

Keep up the great work on this so far. Bought it earlier this summer, and to this day i still fly the ask-13 :P

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
Re: Weather?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:14:38 pm »

Of course, that's very important, and not only for glider pilots. For propeller driven aircraft that is also a must. After Moto; you fly fast - you get less, but during slow flight can experience what.
And basically not matter whether or glider propeller plane, because weather operator inputs are exposed to all FO. :)
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

bomber

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:06:38 pm »

I'm glad you like the glider.... It undergoing a major fdm overhaul (no.18) to try to simulate spin.

Ridge lift and thermals could be added now, if we had a large glider development community that was prepared to get stuck in...

Otherwise it just goes into the priority pot and doesn't come out very high.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »

Condor is the main sim for this. 90% of the glider pilots i've spoken to either fly it or has flown it. It not only has a decent way to simulate thermals, but it also has proper online competition with tasks and stuff.

However, development is so slow that if outerra got a glider or two and maybe ridge lift and thermals im sure alot of people would switch, or at least get both..

bomber

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 05:29:41 am »

Chicken and egg thing.....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »

yes..