Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menu misalignment  (Read 9052 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Menu misalignment
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »

Ok, solution found. The clue was in reading the report on the current resolution of my monitor as 1536x864 despite the fact that Nvidia control panel and Windows were listing me as being at 1920 x 1080.

I had also noticed that my text seemed slightly blurry after changing to windows 10 but had no idea why.

Research on that 1536x864 resolution reveals an issue where updating to Windows 8 or 10 can enable by default a display scaling of 125% to enlarge icons for better readability (useful for tiny laptop screens with high resolutions) which is why Windows thinks it's at its native resolution of 1080. However, GeForce Experience is unaware of this change and displays the resolution at something lower to adapt to the scaling.

The solution is to go to Control panel (In windows 10) then "appearance" and "personalization" then "display" and select "set a custom scaling level" at that point, set the level at 100% and Outerra menu's now work correctly.

No other program I use but Outerra experienced problems with this, so maybe something can be done on the Outerra side to compensate automatically as well?

More on the issue:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

Cameni, Windows 10 is apparently reporting incorrect display information deliberately

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2952506/microsoft-windows/high-resolution-displays-reveal-windows-10-blind-spot.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:56:10 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 02:09:27 am »

I thought it wasn't this issue, since I asked you:

I assume this is a windowed mode and/or some text scaling applied in Windows screen settings?

I believe this is a bug in fullscreen mode where the ownership of the display is exclusive and Windows should not do any such tricks. We already mark the app to be "Per Monitor HighDPI Aware" in its manifest, as suggested by the docs, but it's apparently being ignored there for some reason.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 02:50:46 am »

I thought it wasn't this issue, since I asked you:

I assume this is a windowed mode and/or some text scaling applied in Windows screen settings?

I believe this is a bug in fullscreen mode where the ownership of the display is exclusive and Windows should not do any such tricks. We already mark the app to be "Per Monitor HighDPI Aware" in its manifest, as suggested by the docs, but it's apparently being ignored there for some reason.

Both Windows and Nvidia control panel were reporting 1920x1080, and no scaling of any sort was indicated until I drilled down through several screens. In fact, the only way I even knew the resolution was non standard was via speccy. After finally drilling down to "set a custom scaling level" (A setting I had never seen before) I found it already said 100%, but when I selected 100% manually anyway.... poof, the scaling changed.  =|
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:57:08 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »

By the way, thinks for fixing this in the latest update!
Pages: 1 [2]