Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Apache Engine Not Working  (Read 3648 times)

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
Apache Engine Not Working
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »

Hello, Outerra community. This is my first post here, but I've been admiring Outerra for quite some time. A few days ago I finally downloaded the tech demo and, shortly thereafter, purchased the full version.

There were a few visual bugs here and there (overzealous frustum culling, star sprites not obeying the atmosphere gradient) and one unexplained crash, but the largest issue is that I can't seem to get the Apache to function. Spawning it up allows me to enter and exit it freely, and I can pitch and roll slightly while still on the ground, but whenever I attempt to increase the helicopter's throttle, I'm warned that the engine is off. Pressing 'E' makes no discernible difference, and changing the vehicle's starting settings only causes the vehicle to become physically locked in place.

I apologize if any of this has been answered somewhere before, and any help is appreciated.
-Occam

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: Apache Engine Not Working
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:12:53 am »

Hi, and welcome to the Outerra community! :)

The Apache flight dynamics model (FDM) which is currently in Outerra is very old, and kind of a hack. You should still be able to fly it, however for some reason throttle and collective are still swapped. I thought we fixed that issue, but apparently not. By default, PageUp and PageDown keys should be Throttle, however they will actually act as collective control, because of an issue with the FDM. What is happening is that the engine isn't a turbine in this version, it is actually a fixed horsepower output electric motor, and the rotor has an RPM governor, both are hack. I have a new FDM working with a turboshaft engine and better flight characteristics, however it hasn't been released yet. I do apologize for this, it does need to be fixed. I've been working with another community member KW71 to improve the AH-64, you can visit our thread here: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3253.0

I haven't had much time lately due to my job, but as soon as I do it should only take a weeks work to finish the FDM and the rest of the code, and we plan on releasing an alpha version at that point. If I have some time in the next couple weeks to work on the FDM, maybe I'll release a patch for the current Apache to demonstrate the new flight model.

Looks like you are into game development! Just let us know if you need any help getting started. There are a ton of resources here, although the information is fragmented throughout many threads. At some point I hope to put together some structured tutorials for newcomers who wish to import models and build mods, but it is surprisingly straight forward.

Again, welcome to the community!

Regards,
Uriah

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 05:49:02 am »

Hawent seen that picture before ... nice one !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:16:12 pm »

Uriah - Thank you for your response and your welcome. Your project as linked above seems interesting and I do hope it will allow me to use a helicopter in Outerra sometime soon, but no need to rush. After all, there's a whole world for me to explore in the meantime.

I'm somewhat into game development. I mostly create levels and assets (often for BeamNG); not much of a programmer. But a few pointers on exporting for Outerra would be helpful, and a quick look at what's possible with OT's shaders would be nice, as well.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »

For general info I'll point you to the Modding: Importer, Tools & Utilities board, if you have any specific questions that haven't been already answered, feel free to ask!

Regards,
Uriah