Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Terrain texture  (Read 5990 times)

nothinglikethesun

Terrain texture
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:05:25 am »

Hello. I would like to ask a simple ( maybe stupid) question about terrain texture . I lookin for an easy way to modify terrain texture . I'd like to change the color of the ground to make it less uniform . Perhaps putting the colored meadows even in places at random  :D . Just for fun . Thank you.( sorry for my bad English)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Terrain texture
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:57:09 am »

Hello. I would like to ask a simple ( maybe stupid) question about terrain texture . I lookin for an easy way to modify terrain texture . I'd like to change the color of the ground to make it less uniform . Perhaps putting the colored meadows even in places at random  :D . Just for fun . Thank you.( sorry for my bad English)

Hello :)

You can modify the base terrain and trees textures, they are in /Anteworld/textures. However, it's important to note that the engine is doing a lot of things with these textures. For example the rocks/grass/dirt colors are generated using the blue marble data, and of course procedural refinement handle textures placement so you don't have a lot of control on this. You should take a look at Kelvinr's work here http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?board=32.20. Almost all of these are not avaiable anymore, but it should give you a good idea of what you can do.

Edit: Unfortunately, seems like all of his pictures are gone, same for the videos :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:01:41 am by Acetone »

nothinglikethesun

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:23:35 am »

I saw these interesting post but now files and all images and videos are gone.  Someone still has the Kelvinr files ? I understand that it was a great job . ( What programs should I use to open and try to edit dds file of the land ? ( Your job around Alaska is very very beautiful - Thanks :-)

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:33:30 am »

I saw these interesting post but now files and all images and videos are gone.  Someone still has the Kelvinr files ? I understand that it was a great job . ( What programs should I use to open and try to edit dds file of the land ? ( Your job around Alaska is very very beautiful - Thanks :-)

I noticed a while ago that the movies had disappeared. I thought it was strange, because usually once something is on YouTube, its there forever.

The textures themselves have always been a bit of a strange issue. They seem to have been created at a time when it was easier to modify such things in Outerra but Outerra itself may have moved to handling such things differently.

Over the years, its been an open question whether they would ever be used in some way or not, but its been a long time, and at this late date I'm pretty sure its..... not.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

nothinglikethesun

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:57:24 am »

I noticed a while ago that the movies had disappeared. I thought it was strange, because usually once something is on YouTube, its there forever.

The textures themselves have always been a bit of a strange issue. They seem to have been created at a time when it was easier to modify such things in Outerra but Outerra itself may have moved to handling such things differently.

Over the years, its been an open question whether they would ever be used in some way or not, but its been a long time, and at this late date I'm pretty sure its..... not.

nothinglikethesun

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:49 am »

Thanks! :-)