Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: River bugs  (Read 15909 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: River bugs
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:30 am »

It will automagically fix with the lake system, since there will basically be a global water level map that will flood all terrain depressions, and terrain for which we do not have water depth info will be artificially adjusted to make river and lake beds (based on distance from shore and type).

In the meantime there might be a tweak that extends the range in which the vector data load, depending on the width, as this needs to be done for roads anyway.

HiFlyer

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:21 am »

I know that X-plane faced similar issues with whole areas that just popped into existence in front of the viewer (I did videos similar to this one at the time) but they weren't able to address it really until they went 64bit and had the headroom to preload distant objects out further. Memory cost was high.

Glad to know there is a solution in mind, here.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:24:36 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

josem75

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 10:25:29 am »

OSM is incomplete and inconsistent, fixing it will require a lots of community effort. It's not reasonable to think it will be done anytime soon. Also, even if it was complete and clean tomorrow, as a map source it still lacks data like altitude above sea level that's needed for 3D reconstruction but not necessary for maps. And given the inconsistencies in the existing data, it would not be something we could rely upon. Fixing all the mess in the data is what takes most of the time spent on the importer by far.

During the OSM river import we are querying our elevation data to ensure 2D features match with the terrain.
If all seas, lakes and rivers were defined in OSM, we could use that to build the water level layer instead of using satellite reflectance data, but we'd still have to look up into the elevation data to determine the water levels.

We prefer more reliable data like satellite imagery that contains the water masks, but these are in lower resolution than proper OSM data and suffer from aliasing and filtering. One of the possibilities is to combine the two into a higher detail water mask map, so that we'd have ~30m resolution water bodies for the whole world, and finer shapes where they are available in OSM. However, this also brings in all the problems of OSM - it's not easy to determine algorithmically which OSM entities are erroneous and would actually introduce artifacts, and which ones are a refinement and can replace the rough raster data.

Very interesting mix.
I am thinking. Maybe using this 30m or even 60m satellite data for water masks, would be posible to try also for define the shorelines around the world?
You know. In many places we have water from sea coming inside the "cities". This satellite data surelly are showing the water line correct, not coming inside the city.  Maybe would be useful for fix that shorelines problem.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:29:44 am by josem75 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:02 pm »

Talking about bad OSM data... A river flowing in two directions:

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:12 pm »

Hmmmmm..... I know the hudson river (estuary, really) can flow in two directions, but I presume this is not an example of that sort of thing.....
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 03:50:42 pm »

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:55:33 pm by HiFlyer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]