Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Everything is blurry.  (Read 13515 times)

cjstepney

Everything is blurry.
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:31 pm »

My terrain isn't rendering at a high definition more than about 30m away. Sometimes the rendering "freezes" while the game continues, and the roads are massively pixelated until I turn the camera to look straight down. Really frustrated because on runways, when moving fast in a plane, it looks like this. Incredibly ugly. This is not the Outerra I knew two days ago. All I've changed is that I've added a runway here (this is PHNY Lanai Airport).

I've tried changing every setting and reverting to default, nothing fixes this blurry frustration.

HiFlyer

Re: Everything is blurry.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:58:46 pm »

First, lets make sure you are actually completely at default settings:

Delete your eng.cfg and world.cfg then restart Outerra and see If that fixes things.

Also, have you changed anything in your graphics card settings?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cjstepney

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:10:18 pm »

No improvement. No recent video card changes (as in none since I first got Outerra)

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »

The only time I have ever seen anything like that in outerra myself, is when i have skated too close to OOM by turning up my settings too high. Looks like one of the devs will have to help you out.

In the meantime, you will probably be asked to post your Eng.log
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cjstepney

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:15:58 pm »

That I will do.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 06:50:11 pm »

That's normal still for roads in Outerra isn't it?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cjstepney

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »

No, because it's so bad that it's rendering so slow that when I drive it doesn't keep up with the car. The blurriness is right under the wheels unless I park and wait a good ten to fifteen seconds.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

That's normal still for roads in Outerra isn't it?

Well, not really. And also it depends on your settings. The higher you set the detail, the further out the roads appear and the clearer they (generally) appear from a further distance.

You get the best look at 1080p detail, but it uses a LOT of memory, and you need a heck of a nice graphics card to maintain your frames and not have the scenery refinement begin to lag or stop.

cjstepney

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:51:27 pm »

My frames have never dropped to even noticeably choppy levels. I have tried maxing everything out and it doesn't slow down. I have a GTX780 and 16GB of RAM. What setting specifically should I look at for draw distance? The  graphics/world settings aren't very intuitive (what on earth is a Tree BB??) so I have no idea what to modify to fix this or even change anything. I've tried changing sliders from zero to 100% and it never seems to make any difference on how Outerra looks.

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:50 pm »

My frames have never dropped to even noticeably choppy levels. I have tried maxing everything out and it doesn't slow down. I have a GTX780 and 16GB of RAM. What setting specifically should I look at for draw distance? The  graphics/world settings aren't very intuitive (what on earth is a Tree BB??) so I have no idea what to modify to fix this or even change anything. I've tried changing sliders from zero to 100% and it never seems to make any difference on how Outerra looks.

Look under "World" and "terrain quality metrics." That will up the terrain resolution and as a kind of side effect increase the draw distance. Under "Grass and Trees" you can also experiment with the "tree rendering range"

If you are brave, you can look Under "env" then "forest" and "forest threshold" which will cover the land knee deep in trees.........

As for tree Bb and suchlike...... leave those alone!!!  =D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:05:51 pm by HiFlyer »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »

The  graphics/world settings aren't very intuitive (what on earth is a Tree BB??) so I have no idea what to modify to fix this or even change anything. I've tried changing sliders from zero to 100% and it never seems to make any difference on how Outerra looks.

Hi!

If you see the headers of those sliders set, there is a warning:

"Internal terrain engine parameters. Do not modify unless instructed todo so, or at your own risk".

Have you tried what Hiflyer recomend you?

"Delete your eng.cfg and world.cfg then restart Outerra"

Is the best way to get your default settings back.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »

By the way.... for me at least, resolution matters A LOT!!! I believe I (and my poor 770gtx) are very GPU bound, and lowering the resolution (and AA!) does wonders for frame-rate.

To get the best out of Outerra, sometimes a little juggling of settings/resources is necessary.

cjstepney

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 09:14:37 pm »

The  graphics/world settings aren't very intuitive (what on earth is a Tree BB??) so I have no idea what to modify to fix this or even change anything. I've tried changing sliders from zero to 100% and it never seems to make any difference on how Outerra looks.

Hi!

If you see the headers of those sliders set, there is a warning:

"Internal terrain engine parameters. Do not modify unless instructed todo so, or at your own risk".

Have you tried what Hiflyer recomend you?

"Delete your eng.cfg and world.cfg then restart Outerra"

Is the best way to get your default settings back.

Yep, saw it, tried it, didn't touch the internal params, reset to default, deleted the cfgs, still stuck with an ugly blurry mess that has uninspired me to get VR goggles and has made me lose a bit of faith in Outerra in general.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 10:49:18 pm »

:facepalm:
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 01:01:04 am »

No improvement. No recent video card changes (as in none since I first got Outerra)

So this is what you get right after deleting the cfg files and not touching anything?
Pages: [1] 2 3