Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Track physics & animation  (Read 17360 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Track physics & animation
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:41 am »

Easy track definition using a piece of track (link), engine computes the wrapping curve for tracks defined as collection of wheels, with given number of links to use per track.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Track physics & animation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 05:08:10 am »

Very nice!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:39:05 am »

Was just looking at War Thunder a few days ago and thinking about tank treads in Outerra. Nice to see!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:31:51 am »

magnificent, just missed the mark in the sand..  :)

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:18 am »

Neat! Is it ready to be implemented or a work in progress? Also, does it pew-pew?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »

Wait, those are separate track-elements ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:14 pm »

Neat! Is it ready to be implemented or a work in progress? Also, does it pew-pew?

It's implemented in our dev version. Anything can pew-pew using the existing fire() method too.

Wait, those are separate track-elements ?

Yes. We would need something bigger to make it better visible.

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:10:49 pm »

Easy track definition using a piece of track (link), engine computes the wrapping curve for tracks defined as collection of wheels, with given number of links to use per track.

So, does this mean that geometry can now be deformed by a spline? If so, that should make guardrails and railroad tracks theoretically possible, right? Or is this system fundamentally different from that one?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:05:48 am »

It's not a universal system for repeating geometry along a spline yet, but it's heading there. It will enable things like rails, road poles and guards, bridges, tunnels, electrical lines, ropes ...

zombie00

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 09:39:22 pm »

Simply amazing as with all the updates and previews of new stuff. That's one awesome looking track. You also mentioned ropes, would something like this make pulleys, hanging bridges and stuff of the like possible? I mean, eventually, I know it still needs some work. That would make for an excellent time killer in the current Outerra demo, just playing around with physics is always nice.
I always forget to ask this, sorry if I'm out of the topic, but is the pop-in of small rocks fixable? Not something that would "break it or make it" for me, but it does stand out pretty badly in some cases (this video is a nice example).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:16:47 am »

It's mostly about the rendering aspect of the ropes, which also need the physics. Bullet has some support for it, but it needs special handling for OT terrain.

The pop-in arrowhead rocks will be fixed, needs a bit different technique than the simple one used for them currently.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 10:31:27 am »

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hA!!!!

You have my gratitude and tanks...

Actually is there any way to prevent the grass and terrain from popping up through the tracks? Would it be able to be hidden once the track is in close enough proximity. Soft terrain compression is also something I hope to see.

Also just a tweak, the wheels themselves always seem to move too fast. Appearing to instantly be somewhere else. Not sure how you can correct that but I remember a while ago you stated wheels didn't have any mass yet and dampening wasn't enough. Can't wait to use this!

Will this model be made available in the standard version of the game?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:40:15 am by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 01:47:27 pm »

Also just a tweak, the wheels themselves always seem to move too fast. Appearing to instantly be somewhere else.

Is a common effect on videos (and even in real life).

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-wheels-sometimes-appear-to-spin-backwards-1593807400
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 03:52:59 pm »

Actually is there any way to prevent the grass and terrain from popping up through the tracks? Would it be able to be hidden once the track is in close enough proximity. Soft terrain compression is also something I hope to see.

I assume the grass will be automatically hidden with the tracks imprinting into terrain, so I'm not going to deal with that now, even though there are other ways how to hide it. Similar to how the rain has to be occluded from cockpits and water from boats.

Also just a tweak, the wheels themselves always seem to move too fast. Appearing to instantly be somewhere else. Not sure how you can correct that but I remember a while ago you stated wheels didn't have any mass yet and dampening wasn't enough. Can't wait to use this!

Current model is a bit unrealistic in that it doesn't go through computing torque for wheels, but directly produces force acting on the hub, and the wheel rotation is computed from that. That computation itself could be extended to emulate also some wheel inertia, though ideally the whole thing would be done properly ...

Will this model be made available in the standard version of the game?

Not sure if this one, but some tank model is going to be included.

OskiekSL

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:05 am »

When this will be implemented I think someone(maybe me?) will go on and try to import vehicles from World of Tanks or War Thunder