Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Forest map / MODIS data  (Read 3559 times)

Avi

Forest map / MODIS data
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:18:51 am »

Cameni once said that along with new biomes a separate forest cover / vegetation cover data will be incorporated. The lack of this makes most places including hills and mountains very barren around Nepal and India regions. When can we expect to see this vegetation cover data being incorporated? 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Forest map / MODIS data
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:39 pm »

Forest data haven't been processed yet, but they are in short term plan. There should not be any problem with getting them in, except that I need to make the formats a bit more compact as there are already too many files checked for updates at the program start, slowing it down.

The only potential issue I can see is how the existing vegetation index will play together with the forest data. Vegetation index tells the overall ratio between vegetation and bare ground, which also includes tree cover. It's not yet entirely clear how to guess the amount of vegetation under tree canopy.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Forest map / MODIS data
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:43:42 am »

Forest data haven't been processed yet, but they are in short term plan. There should not be any problem with getting them in, except that I need to make the formats a bit more compact as there are already too many files checked for updates at the program start, slowing it down.

The only potential issue I can see is how the existing vegetation index will play together with the forest data. Vegetation index tells the overall ratio between vegetation and bare ground, which also includes tree cover. It's not yet entirely clear how to guess the amount of vegetation under tree canopy.
You could generalise that the further the distance a forested area has from occupied areas, the more "unkept" it is, with more vegetation growing unattended.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.