Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: future of the game - II  (Read 17465 times)

fooff

future of the game - II
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:45:31 am »

Okei, it's been more than a year since i wrote you and asked for some news about the implementation of the engine in an actual game, and the responses were basically "just wait".

So, any news about that? what has changed during this year? Have any step been done toward the game making direction or you are still working on the engine?

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: future of the game - II
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:42:23 pm »

Just wait

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »

A somewhat more elaborate explanation is: "don't hold your breath." One of Cameni's recent-ish posts indicated that the next major update(s) will contain support for networking (making multiplayer theoretically possible) and scenarios (a basic implementation of objective-oriented gameplay). These, and the information and feedback that they'll likely gather from community members and content creators alike, will provide a clear direction for the developers to take the evolution of the game engine.

The game engine being absolutely essential for the game itself.

fooff

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:14 am »

The game engine being absolutely essential for the game itself.

But the game is not essential for the game engine....
For all that i've read on the forum, i really, really, have the impression that no game is actually in the mind of the devs.
And this make me sad

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:44:18 pm »

Actually we never wanted to live off the engine licensing, that's not something that would satisfy us. Producing games and simulators is the ultimate goal. However, we can only get so far with the resources we have got, and a game can't be made before the engine becomes usable. Developing a complete engine takes a huge amount of resources, and we had to start licensing it to special projects that can use it as it is in order to secure funding for further development.
 Games we have in mind still require functionality that's currently missing or has got just non-optimized placeholders. Our situation is vastly different compared to devs who (can) use a ready-made engine.

Nevertheless we dedicated a considerable part of our resources to actual game development already; our new members are primarily working on the game and multiplayer stuff. Apart from coders we are also getting an art lead for the project, as it's something that was long missing from our procedurally-driven approach.

The game project is still far from being presentable and we decided it wouldn't be wise to drip pieces of info before a complex picture can be made, and before we can verify it's going to work well and utilize all engine capabilities. We also know we'll have to phase it into a prototype and alpha gameplay attractive enough for a wider game base, to be able to boost the dev team size beyond what we currently can handle.

fooff

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:29 am »

So basically you started working on the multiplayer coding and you will soon start 3d modelling, right?
Love to hear that :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:06:35 pm »

An art lead........ Thank you!  8)

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

chrisb

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 11:45:44 am »

This all sounds very promising. Is the game/sim something along the Arma series line, or am I completely off target there. ?

I think Outerra and mil/sim style game would be great. :)

StrakanXJ

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:15 pm »

Im new to the Outerra bandwagon but I realise the beauty and potential for this engine so I have gladly bought (full/alpha? that cant be right...)
Really glad to see the forums are alive and whats more, the engine itself is still alive!

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 07:02:05 am »

This all sounds very promising. Is the game/sim something along the Arma series line, or am I completely off target there. ?

I think Outerra and mil/sim style game would be great. :)

Well, as of yet it's been more vehicle-simulation oriented. It's not really.. anything atm, it's a very open sandbox.. Although in the future, i think a game where one could have combined warfare would be great. I've always liked Arma (all versions) and DCS, but i've never found a place where you could get the ground realism of arma, and the flight simulation of dcs or other simulators. i simply can't fly in arma, it's too simple (except helicopters, those are pretty cool now)

fooff

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:48 am »

to all the people who want this engine to became an ARMA-under-steroids game, just one question: why? what´s the benefit of having the entire planet as your battlefield? i can only see negative aspects: difficult to find other players, not so great definition of the environment in small scale, repetitive (every corner of the world will be almost identical to the other while fighting in it). flying? what´s the point of flying away? you finally found somebody else to play with, and you run away? or you kill him in 10-50 seconds, and then the search start again?

you should think about types of game where the dimension of the planet actually add some deepness into the game

SteelRat

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:52 am »

to all the people who want this engine to became an ARMA-under-steroids game, just one question: why? what´s the benefit of having the entire planet as your battlefield? i can only see negative aspects: difficult to find other players, not so great definition of the environment in small scale, repetitive (every corner of the world will be almost identical to the other while fighting in it). flying? what´s the point of flying away? you finally found somebody else to play with, and you run away? or you kill him in 10-50 seconds, and then the search start again?

you should think about types of game where the dimension of the planet actually add some deepness into the game

If you have the tools to create a gameplay or that will not be in your way to limit the location within which will be cost gameplay.

fooff

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:07 am »

If you have the tools to create a gameplay or that will not be in your way to limit the location within which will be cost gameplay.

Not sure i got it, could you express it better?

SteelRat

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:31:35 am »

Not sure i got it, could you express it better?

Translator)

RU
При наличии инструментов для создания игрового процесса, вам ни что не будет мешать ограничить локацию в пределах которой будет проходить игровой процесс.

fooff

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:36:41 am »

RU
При наличии инструментов для создания игрового процесса, вам ни что не будет мешать ограничить локацию в пределах которой будет проходить игровой процесс.

Lol, google translate is not helping here :P
Pages: [1] 2