Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Shadows  (Read 3981 times)

josem75

Shadows
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:40:24 am »

This is a question mostly for Cameny and Angry.
When i hear about udates, i always think that the best update i would like, would be a shadows system improvement.
Only with that graphics  would look almost perfect already.
Coverall because the actual flickering in terrain and trees shadows is huge, and this quit much of all the nice things of the graphics in the engine. 
Analysing a bit. I discovered that the maximun range for show perfect shadows is 1.3 Km, in terrain and trees. Over 1.3 Km, shadows are in low quality and flickering is on fire. But curiosly, trees shadows range can be maximized from default 20% to 100%. And when i do, nothing changes. Only from 0 to 10-15% the distance change. But in this % you already obtain the maximun 1.3 Km distance for show perfect shadows trees. And terrain even dont have a value for increase range.

So. A Shadows improvement can be in two ways. A better low shadows without flickering problem. Or real options for go really far in perfect shadows (even while take some fps impact). For people who have a good graphic card would be a solution. But a fix in the low quality shadows also needed for those who have less power graphic card.

For example. In the first 5 Km range is where you mostly see the flickering problem, making something very ugly in a wonderful engine. So if perfect shadows can have a option for terrain and trees, to cover at least 5 Km range, the most important part of flickering would gone. And if extended to 10 Km, almost 100% would gone.
I dont know the impact in fps of 5-10 Km range shadows in trees and terrain. But the change in the engine would be incredible.

So is this posible or planned in a update soon?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:04:15 am by josem75 »

2eyed

Re: Shadows
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:42:47 am »

I would guess, by no means the current shadow implementation is meant to be final.
I also feel the current LODing, near cut off range and incomplete terrain shadowing and in VR moving shadows with the eye point and the flickering tree shading is quite distractive. But - there is always hope for an update, maybe even this year, who knows? ;)

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:16:07 am »

Honestly, at this point I usually turn tree shadows off and sometimes ground shadows as well.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:54:48 pm »

Even without reworking the shadow system we could add an option to set the number of shadow bands. I think currently it's set to 6 or 7, and the coverage in distance deteriorates quickly. More shadow bands mean more shadow rendering passes, and especially with low sun this could be quite a performance hit. But as you say, better GPUs can handle more ...

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »

Even without reworking the shadow system we could add an option to set the number of shadow bands. I think currently it's set to 6 or 7, and the coverage in distance deteriorates quickly. More shadow bands mean more shadow rendering passes, and especially with low sun this could be quite a performance hit. But as you say, better GPUs can handle more ...

Well, if you ever decide to do it, I would certainly give it a try.  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

2eyed

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:53:01 am »

Is there a possible "quick" fix for the inconsistent and flickering tree shading too?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:43:43 pm »

That's a bigger problem. The flickering and inconsistency comes from the fact that currently the whole tree is shaded if one point on the ground is in shadow, so you can send the whole tree to the dark side just by moving, since the shadows from vehicles or from terrain are slightly moving.

Hm, in theory we could switch close trees to full shading, but that would require some blending. Or just give an option to switch tree shading to full one, for better GPUs .. at least until the shadow system is updated.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »

So that's how you join the dark side...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P