Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo  (Read 945472 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »

Outerra Tech Demo
Free tech demo, upgradable to the Anteworld sandbox game (alpha)

Outerra Engine is a unique world rendering engine capable of seamlessly rendering whole planets from space down to ground level. It can use real world data to render the planets realistically, while also dynamically refining the data using procedural algorithms to provide high ground-level detail.

The engine provides unlimited visibility obstructed only by the planet's curvature, with details ranging from thousands of kilometers down to centimeters. Real time atmospheric rendering, oceans with shore waves.

It can integrate vector data overlays for roads, and land class modifications. Uses the JSBSim Flight Dynamics Model library for high fidelity simulation of aircraft, and Bullet physics engine for simulation of vehicle physics. Terrain and fractal algorithms maximally utilize the GPU, leaving the CPU resources for simulation.

Hardware requirements

Outerra engine runs on OpenGL 3.3 and requires recent graphics drivers. It will warn you if your drivers are outdated, or even refuse to run in case you've got old ATI drivers that are known not to work at all.
The minimum requirements are:
  • Windows Vista and higher, limited Windows XP support
  • Nvidia 8xxx series or better, AMD/ATI 5xxx or better with recent AMD/ATI drivers (older ATI series are no longer supported by AMD and their legacy OpenGL 3.3+ drivers are buggy)
  • Recent graphics drivers!
  • 512MB graphics memory
  • 2GB RAM
  • 500MB disk space for the initial install, up to 15GB for fully downloaded Earth dataset
Recommended:
  • Nvidia 470GTX or better, ATI 6870 or better
  • 1GB graphics memory
  • a 2-core CPU

Download

Download links for the Outerra tech demo, upgradable in-game to the Anteworld sandbox game (alpha):

Anteworld-17.1.0.9830 (EU server)
Anteworld-17.1.0.9830 (US server)

Driver issues, graphics glitches Please check the Graphics driver issues topic to resolve the most common issues with the drivers.

Tech demo

This alpha release features:
  • A complete, real scale planet Earth that can be explored
  • Created from real elevation data with resolution 90m where available, 1km resolution for oceans; data are dynamically downloaded as you go
  • Further refined by fractal-based procedural techniques down to centimeter-level details
  • Vector-based road system that integrates with the procedurally generated terrain
  • Adjustable lighting and environment parameters
  • Oculus Rift support

The demo comes with the whole planet Earth that can be explored in a free-camera (UFO) mode or in a testing vehicle (8-wheeler truck). There's also a first person walking mode.

Full version

After upgrading to the full version (alpha, access to all further versions), the following additional features become available:
  • Road and runway editor
  • Editor for placing static objects
  • Additional vehicles - aircraft driven by the JSBSim flight dynamics engine
  • Model importer for static objects, ground vehicles and aircraft
  • Ability to export and share mods with others
  • Dynamic terrain deformation (craters)

People who like it and/or want to support us and the development of Outerra engine can buy the alpha release of Anteworld at a discounted price. Doing so will give you access to regularly released alpha/beta updates of the game, together with the final version when it's done. The price will gradually rise with each major release.
You will also become our beta-testers, with ability to influence the priorities of the development.

The full game includes more vehicles, allows you to use vehicle mods made by users, a basic sandbox tool set allowing you to create roads and runways and place stock or imported objects. A model importer and vehicle configurator enables you to create custom models and vehicles and share it with others. It also enables you to play with dynamic terrain deformation (craters) and more things being regularly released. Changelog for the active version can be found in the [http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?board=14.0]latest version[/url] topic.

The demo contains a few locations around the world (a couple of them were created by our tester Pico). Data for the default location are already included within the installer, the rest of it will be downloaded automatically on demand as you explore the world (note: proxy servers aren't supported yet for data download). The total size of the data is around 15GB, but normally you'll download just a fraction of the size, unless you traverse the whole planet surface at a low altitude.

Limitations of current alpha state of the technology

This alpha release comes out to show the potential of the engine, but it still lacks many features commonly found in other engines, and especially the effects are postponed until the major features are implemented.
The demo currently comes with just a single biome - northern type forests. There are no rivers and lakes implemented yet, and no weather yet.
Almost all the areas are work in progress.

Known Issues

The alpha state of the engine also means that it's not very optimized yet. It consumes more GPU memory than it should, and spends some time rendering things that is not eventually visible etc.

Windows XP (32bit): Because of a lower and fixed limit on available system memory for GPU transfers on 32-bit Windows XP you may encounter a not-enough memory problem. In this case please close all other apps, especially browsers and other apps that consume a lot of NP (non-paged) memory as shown in the Task Manager.

Driver issues: Please check the Graphics driver issues topic to resolve the most common issues with the drivers.

Anteworld game

Anteworld* is a world-building game on a massive true-to-life scale of our planet. Returning aboard an interstellar colonizer ship built in the Golden Age of Mankind, players arrive on the planet earth to discover civilization and humanity vanished. They will have to rebuild the civilization - exploring, fighting, and competing for resources while searching for clues to the disappearance of humanity.

The game will contain several modes, the basic one will be a single-player game but with player-built locations being synchronized and replicated between clients. That means player can settle in a free location of his choice where he can build and play, and when he goes exploring he'll be able to observe and visit other sites where other players are building their world.

There's going to be also a multiplayer mode for gaming in the existing world.
Sim-connect mode should allow to use Anteworld as an image generator for another simulation program.
In fact, Anteworld is meant to create the basis for an Outerra game/sim platform, allowing to create mods and new game modules that would run on the existing backend.

*The name comes from Latin prefix Ante-, with the meaning of prior-to in time. A world that was. There's going to be an accompanying novella written by C.Shawn Smith that should be loosely tied to the game.
Here's a sample, the epilogue: The Outerra Initiative - Epilogue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:53:17 am by cameni »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:48:16 pm »

Here is to many many more good days.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Outerra for you Redditors out there.

Also
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:53:55 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

TheSquiffy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:46 pm »

Here is to many many more good days.

Kids to bed... downloading it right now!

whoooooohooooo!

:-)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »

What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »

Shame I'm stuck with a PC that doesn't meet the minimum specs, but I'm glad to see Outerra taking such a big step. 8) :P ;D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Orion

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

Awesome, can't wait to try it out!

jf31

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »

Downloaded, seeded (and still seeding at a slow 64KB/s), tried it out, found that it runs more than satisfactorily on my HD5770 (processor is a Core 2 Duo E8400 @ stock 3.0GHz), and bought it!

Congrats on your first public release!

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »

By the way, even though I already have it, I'm downloading the torrent and will seed for a few weeks to help out with the distribution :).  I see there's only 4 seeds at the moment hehe, but the download speed is great.

TheSquiffy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:12 pm »

It's AWESOME. period.

mh... should you set up a bug reporting area somewhere... I'v already a few to report ;-)

Sq.

booz

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »

great news and long life to the baby !!  ;D

matnor

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

Great! I'm impressed!
Where do I pay the 15 bucks to try out the helicopter and support the development of the product?

gedzor

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:35 pm »

I almost dropped a tear... :D This can be the beginning of sg great

Matt6767

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »

Great! I'm impressed!
Where do I pay the 15 bucks to try out the helicopter and support the development of the product?

You'll see the payment link once you download the demo and get to the login menu.

matnor

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »

Great! I'm impressed!

You'll see the payment link once you download the demo and get to the login menu.
Yeah, found it ;)
Thanks.

Don't know if the devs will pick this bug up:
I can't edit resolution etc while inside the app. I had to edit the cfg file instead.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »

Great! I'm impressed!

Yeah, found it ;)
Thanks.

Don't know if the devs will pick this bug up:
I can't edit resolution etc while inside the app. I had to edit the cfg file instead.

After making the changes, exit and restart the game ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36