User mods, screenshots & videos > Textures

Custom Road Textures?

(1/3) > >>

Uriah:
Is it possible to create custom road textures that can be applied to roads, runways and leveling ground?

Specifically, there are some road "textures" which seem to use an alpha mask, like the white stripes. This would allow me to make a texture which creates two parallel roads (actually the same road) with a grassy median between them.

I dug into the textures folder but can't find much info in the forum about road textures.

Regards,
Uriah

KW71:
So far, I only have been able to replace the existing, in this case 05.dds and 05n.dds, C:\Program Files (x86)\Outerra\Anteworld\textures\terrain\ground
which is used for gravel roads:

Uriah:
Nice work! Is 05.dds the color and 05n.dds the normal? Is the color alpha masked or does it use an opacity map?

It should be easy to find what file defines the road material library. If you do a keyword search of the Outerra directory for '05.dds' it will turn up which files refer to that texture, or else it is called from a DLL and cannot be modified.

Regards,
Uriah

KW71:
Here is the path:

"So far, I only have been able to replace the existing, in this case 05.dds and 05n.dds, C:\Program Files (x86)\Outerra\Anteworld\textures\terrain\ground
which is used for gravel roads:"

Yes, 05.dds is diffuse and 05n.dds is normal map. There are nor alpha channel, neither opacity map  (at least "on sight") that can be modified.

Uriah:
Yeah there must be a file defining all the different road materials. So the edges of your texture are using the same opacity/alpha as the gravel road, which means it is a common map used by multiple materials. I am not on my computer, or else I would have the answer already.

The short answer is it is definitely possible to make custom road textures with opacity, hopefully I can find a way to make new types and not overwrite existing ones.

Regards,
Uriah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version