User mods, screenshots & videos > Vehicles

Additional controls for vehicles

(1/5) > >>

cameni:
I'm going to add a couple of extra keys into the vehicles, that can be handled within the vehicle script and used to control additional stuff, such as doors, horn, turrets etc. Although vehicle scripts can decide to assign keys to arbitrary functionality, I want to have some predefined (doors, horn ..) and some extra keys without a specified purpose.

What input actions should be predefined (even if not used now)?

mLichy:
Oh nice, so I could, right now, add a key to animate the door, ect?  Or am I misunderstanding that part?

Input Actions/Keys to Add:

- Open Hood/Bonnet
- Open Trunk/Boot  (Could be considered a door if hatchback?)
- Open Doors (1-5?)
- Sound Horn
- Window Control (not sure how to best handle this)
- Turn On/Off Windscreen Wipers

cameni:
I need to add a new event into the vehicle physics interface that you'll be able to handle in the script, it will be possible in the next update. Now I need to know what input actions should be added into the vehicle configuration, where you can bind keys or joystick axes to them.

ZeosPantera:
Horn, Parking_Lights, Head_Lights, Aux_Lights, Radio_Toggle

Open_Door_L, Open_Door_R, Open_window_L, Open_window_R, Hood, Trunk, Lock_Vehicle (for multiplayer)

Turret_left, turret_right, turret_up, turret_down (then you have to have analog inputs.  Turret_X, Turret_Y) and a SLOW_MODIFIER(so you can hold and slow down rotation)

FIRE!, Cycle_Weapon, Fire_1, Fire_2, Fire_3, Fire_4, Fire_5

Shift_up, Shift_down, Neutral, Reverse, First, Second, Thrid, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, LOW_GEAR

Emergency_Brake_Momentary, Emergency_Brake_Toggle, AUX_1, AUX_2, AUX_3, AUX_4, ETC

Obviously these are many of the things I could see being used but not everything. I have been thinking about my rFactor and Insterstate76 background. Vehicular Homicide is a sort of hobby of mine.

Some of the above actions should be toggle, some momentary and some should require you in real life to HOLD (the Reverse thru Sixth gear for example)

I assume you would be separating Planes and Boats from these sort of vehicles.

cameni:
Just to explain the supposed final state - since there are lots of simulator fan(atic)s who want every conceivable action to be controllable, ultimately it should be possible to add arbitrary input actions to any vehicle (or class of vehicles), and handle them in the vehicle's physics script. However, most people will want just simplified controls, that can be configured globally for all vehicles in the configuration menu. Here we are talking about those common controls. Aircraft have their own controls page.

In OT the input actions are of two types: volume (0..1) or symmetric (-1..1). You can bind either buttons or axes there, and whether it's toggling or holding or momentary - that depends on how the script decides to handle it.

Normally the keys are bound without modifiers (no shift/ctrl/alt), but the state of these keys will be available to the script. For example, you could bind key o to open the windows, but the script will do something different when shift is being held (like closing them instead).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version