Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Normal mapping on terrain textures

<< < (5/5)

cameni:
No problem discussing ideas ;)

We've been pondering about a system for OT where you could actually craft stuff from some basic blocks, such a game/system would be pretty cool if it could be combined with the rest of OT. But thus far I don't see it elegantly fitting with the engine. Maybe a voxel geometry generator block working within the engine would be a way to go, plugged in via something that mods the existing procedural geometry in a way that allows for parts of the world to be voxelized.

Abc94:
OuterraCraft?    8)

Instead of using blocks, maybe make everything volumertic?

ZeosPantera:
All building materials are just shapes. If you could manufacture shapes with their appropriate weight, strength, texture you would just pile them up to build like real life.

colinhect:
I've read pretty much all of your blog posts but I don't remember ever seeing in detail how the texturing works in its current state.  Have you posted detailed information on this?  I've always assumed that you generate something like a splat map per-patch which selects which textures to use.  But I can never find any noticeable tiling.

cameni:
I'm generating a map of textures to use, and that map is created from the available terrain info (primarily the local and global slope, curvature, elevation and latitude), plus auxiliary parallel fractal data that select the sub-type, generating the dirt patches, the variance in the grass colors etc. You don't see a tiling because those fractal data are unique.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version