Outerra Apps > Outerra World Simulator

Initial thoughts on Outerra and Anteworld

<< < (3/4) > >>

Luishi5k0:
I can imagine it is. Just use some sort of fractal to modify them and then apply shadows and whatnot to add detail.

edit: removed img link to malware site

The real trick it to keep them fluffy yet defined. The main problem in that video is they are all just blurry blobs. That is NOT how clouds ever are.

C. Shawn Smith:
One word: Voxels

PTTG:

--- Quote from: C. Shawn Smith on March 10, 2012, 09:21:37 pm ---One word: Voxels

--- End quote ---
One word: We'd have to spend billions of dollars to get a computer good enough to simulate global clouds at a reasonable level of detail using voxels.

Hmm... I guess I went over the limit a bit there. Nevermind, sorry.

TheSquiffy:
I think that talking about clouds now is going a little bit OT.  :-X

I'd only like to share and add my initial thoughts about Outerra engine.

We all know we live in a small planet, compared to huge celestials like Jupiter, Saturn and so on, but we're also really small.
So Outerra it's the first simulation where I felt really SMALL, and our planet really big compared to us. Is not the usual planet-toy where you see a few mountains, a few water and snow, and yes, sometimes a some trees also... I tested the legendary sean's project, I seen also in i-novae engine's videos, many blogs attempts, pics and videos and so on. I think those are scaled down "attempts" to make our planet feelings "REAL".

In Outerra I really seen the planet like it should be flying out from ground or approaching a mountain, or watching a valley, exploring the grand canyon isn't a 100 made polygons hole, not a kiddy planet. This is the "plus" I really like of this project.

We all know that there are bugs, there are corrections to be made, but remains a big planet for us to enjoy the exploration. And' compared to other promising, it's now CONCRETE project.

My two cents.
Sq.

corax:
Hi, I use X-Plane 9/10. You might like to look at them to see how they handle clouds, they differ from each other.
Both use airport weather data as the source for current conditions; XP9 only does local, although the add-on Rexxplane goes more global and with better images; XP10 does global.
I prefer the landforms in XP9 and the weather from XP10, and as I fly canyons, XP9 is used most.

I do like your landforms, and looking forward to the appaerence of rivers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version