Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Joystick issues  (Read 6653 times)

bongodriver

Joystick issues
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:53:27 am »

I am using a Logitech G940, Outerra does use the device and it recognises all axes and buttons but it doesn't seem to like keeping track of calibration (I'm still testing and have seen an improvement on this to an extent)

for some reason Outerra doesn't identify each unit joystick/throttle/pedals but instead lists them as identical 'unknown HID device', I noticed that the game stores info on the devices in the devs folder, so far I have not worked out the logic on this but the config files for my device randomly generate with long numerical filenames and some appear inside a folder of similar name while others remain in the devs folder.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Joystick issues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:25:55 am »

... and some appear inside a folder of similar name while others remain in the devs folder.
Can you show how the folders structure look like?
Or better, delete them (devs and the other), run the app + calibration, exit and attach the eng.log here. It will contain the detection and joystick info.

bongodriver

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:30:31 am »

Will do, I will send a screen grab of the folder/file too, what is the support email again, the log file will be too large to attach.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 09:40:43 am »

support at outerra.com

bongodriver

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:24:22 am »

Ok, email sent.

one more thing to mention is that outerra also never keeps the same device numbering for each unit when a calibration is done i.e. one day my joystick is device 1 but after a calibration it could end up being device 2, this means I am constantly remapping control/axis assignments.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:24 am »

Thanks. Definitely something weird goes on in there. First the name of the device, looks as if it was longer than USB spec dictates, and the function to get the name fails.
I've done some changes there and extended the logging, we'll check it in the next build. The renumbering is probably connected to this issue, since one of the config files is not written.

bongodriver

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:23:23 am »

it does write all 3 config files, it just doesn't put them all in the same directory, some are inside that numerical folder inside the devs folder and some are in the devs folder, and the instances are very random, sometimes 2 are in the devs with one in the numbered folder or 2 in the folder and 1 in devs.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:31:57 am »

The problem is that there should be no subfolder. Once it tries to read them back the next time, it looks for the files in devs folder only. Maybe you could move them to the devs folder and see if it works after restart that way.

bongodriver

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:58 pm »

Yes, it seems to work, the calibration seems to hold.

I also tried renaming the devices in the config files but they still show up as 'unknown HID device' despite, what would happen if I renamed the actual config file?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:42 pm »

That's a problem of the joystick, probably non-conforming to the HID spec, or some kind of a permission problem in Windows. Renaming won't help, the name and the config file name are separate things.