Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New object rendering pipeline  (Read 14683 times)

Chaoss

• After Days
Re: New object rendering pipeline
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 05:17:52 am »

Are there some guidelines for the tris-limits at the several LoD-levels?
On the project i was working for before, they existed.
On the low detailed level it was around 10 - 100, on max detail it was 10000. So you have 4 levels (5 are also ok, because you have one normal level and two lower/higher detail levels)

My proposal would be
LoD 1) - 10..100
LoD 2) - 100..1000
LoD 3) - 1000 .. 3000
LoD 4) - 3000 .. 10000

Of course that doesnt make sense for all of the objects. But its useful as guideline i think.

I'd make LoD 4 a billboard/flat or VERY VERY basic shape of an object (for example cars would be a simple 18 triangle block (20 if you include the bottom), and keep LoD's 1 through 3 as standard LOD's. Don't forget that objects will be seen from much greater distances than in most games/real time 3d apps

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

It doesnt matter if LoD 1 or 4 is the lowest one. I suggested 10 tris, what would be a billboard model of course. Why do you tell me the distance depending visibilities of game models? Did i wrote something differing? I'm confused o.O But i'm sure i understand the idea of level of details (some years ago) ;) correct me, if i'm wrong.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

I don't think billboards should come into it with only 4 levels of detail.. Six or eight.. I am all for it. But even 10-12 pixel high items should probably pop out of cardboard mode.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 [2]