Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Sample

(1/3) > >>

cameni:
To fill the void until we produce the planned video, here is one screen shot sample of what we are working on. A tiny part of one location that will be included in the video.

[Edit: replaced with one with shadows]

corona:
Thanks for this, I'm always glad to see new shots, whatever the motif. My initial thoughts, encouragement only and not critisism. I sincerely hope it doesn't deter you from keeping to post screenshots. I am sure you are fully aware of each any every point.

Are we seeing a new type of "road" here...looks like a foot way/pathway.

The houses aren't particularly impressive, but thats not a critisism at all. I am actually glad you don't spend all your time modeling buildings, that kinda stuff can come from other people. You folks keep your eyes on the core engine :-)

The haze effect though still looks a bit weird to me too, I explained my thoughts in more detail before. However, seeing what appears to be the sun direclty facing the camera in this shot, I am wonder if what I am seeing is perhaps some sort of sun glare effect or something. However, you said athmosphere will be tweaked at a later date, so in case this hasn't happened yet (on second thought it probably hasn't)..completely disregard my comment.

Now lastly, I am kind of wondering where the shadows went. The mountains seem to have them, and so do some trees (although for trees you explained those are fake low-pass shadows for the moment). but with the sun where it is, the houses surely should cast a shadow. This would give so much more depth to the scene. I'm also pretty sure I've seen shadows before.

Lastly, talking wide into the future here.......a grass...layer of some sort would make this perfectly usable as a FPS engine.

Again, I hope you don't take this as harsh, I really don't mean that. I check here daily to see new posts and I am patiently waiting. Don't feel urged to respond either btw, but I thought you might like some different comments than a simple "looks great, keep up the good work".

With that.
Looks great, keep up the good work :-)

cameni:
Thanks, I'm grateful for any deeper comments, actually :)

Angrypig swapped the screen for a better one, the problem was that we changed a depth buffer coefficient and I didn't have the fixed shadows yet when taking the screen shot. And I didn't notice they weren't there. I guess I'm staring at the screen in various debug modes too much :rolleyes:

The road is just the dirt road with another profile (single track).

The houses .. well, that's what we deserve when posting a single screen of small part of an unknown location. I mean, looking independently at these I can see what you mean. But they fit the architecture of location they are from, I hope everything will be seen and understood better later. Angrypig in fact quite likes them, or better said he likes the way he made them and how they are being rendered from the effectiveness point of view, so he frowned like angry pig when reading that :p

The haze effect - I think the perception will be better in motion, that mountain is actually rather distant.

About the grass - we've been testing some some time ago, there certainly will be grass and shrubs and everything an FPS game would require. I want to consider them when designing land class and climate support in the coming months.

corona:
Oh how sneaky of you. Tststs, censorship, and you even deleted the old one physically as far as I can tell ;-) Nah, I'm just kidding, new shot looks better, and its also framed differently. Now since you deleted it I can't go back and compare (no I'm too lazy to search my cache), enough of that :-)

I'm sorry about my comment regarding the houses....guess what, they actually look alot better already, all just because of the shadows. At least that's my impression. And yes, as a flightsim fan, I'd rather have fast to render houses with a small number of polys. However for a ground based kinda sim the higher the better. But don't disgress, as I said, I don't worry about it at all.

Now regarding that undisclosed location, how about a little competition on the forum. You know, keep folks coming back here. Everyone can post a guess, and whoever is closest get's the beta........wooooot? Hehe, no but maybe the winner can request a little video or something that you guys make, something like some of the screenshot request you did. You know, like, could you fly from Mumbai to Mt. Everest, climb to 200k feet and shoot into the crater of....I dunno, somewhere. That kinda thing. Or something else. Or just for fun, it's all good. Team members and their families are excluded from the competition. Hey, no cheating!!

I get first guess since it's my idea, and I said........Saudi Arabia....clearly, yup, that's my guess. Do I win? :-)

Seriously, keep up the good work
Cheers :-)

cameni:
Yup, Saudi Arabia, grass, snow and everything. Say a few million years ago, shifted continents and all.
Wait, there is a grass and snow in there in the engine now :|

But I'll give you all a hint .. it was 8AM of January 1, so you can take the position of Sun into account. On that deleted screen :lol:
Now that's the proper detective work :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version