Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Proland has been released in Open Source  (Read 18495 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Re: Proland has been released in Open Source
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

Well it's not straightforward either way. He used a technique that's easier to implement without visual bugs, but it complicates the possibility of coast waves. Mine was designed to be able to reflect underlying terrain topology, but needs more effort to get rid of visual glitches. Also, his lighting is more complex than mine. But I think once I put more effort into solving the issues, it can get to that level as well.

Cameni,

Any chance to use the terrain data used for Proland? Or is it unusable in Outerra?
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 02:58:08 am »

Depends on its license. I don't think it has a better base resolution, but it may contain more fixes.

If it was worth it, and with permissible license, it could be imported.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 03:18:51 am »

Depends on its license. I don't think it has a better base resolution, but it may contain more fixes.

If it was worth it, and with permissible license, it could be imported.

Sounds like something to look at in due course?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 03:31:14 am »

Did you download it already? You could look up the license there and check if NZ is fixed.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:25:17 am »

Did you download it already? You could look up the license there and check if NZ is fixed.

Is it worth me downloading it? It is alot of data just to check licensing information. Would it be possible to use it in Outerra (if license permits) if it has the fixed terrain?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 04:35:02 am »

Not directly, it would have to be reprocessed. But I don't think he's magically got some source with better data that we could use, so if you haven't downloaded it already to see how it works, it's probably not worth for you. Also, licensing and sources will be probably listed on their site somewhere.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 04:59:44 am »

Is it worth me downloading it? It is alot of data just to check licensing information. Would it be possible to use it in Outerra (if license permits) if it has the fixed terrain?

I downloaded but it keeps crashing which I suspect is perhaps because i have 64bit windows. I did look on the website and saw the disclaimer:

PROCESSED SRTM DATA    
The data  distributed here  are in  ARC GRID,  ARC ASCII  and Geotiff format, in decimal degrees and datum WGS84.  They are derived from the USGS/NASA SRTM data.
CIAT  have  processed  this  data  to  provide  seamless  continuous  topography surfaces.  Areas with  regions of no  data in the  original SRTM data  have been
filled using interpolation methods described by Reuter et al. (2007).

DISTRIBUTION    
Users are  prohibited from  any commercial,  non-free resale,  or redistribution without explicit written permission from CIAT. Users should acknowledge CIAT  as the source used  in the creation  of any reports,  publications, new data  sets, derived products, or services resulting from the use of this data set. CIAT also request  reprints of  any publications  and notification  of any  redistributing efforts. For commercial  access to  the data,  send requests  to Andy Jarvis.

NO WARRANTY OR LIABILITY    
CIAT provides  these data  without any  warranty of  any kind whatsoever, either express or implied,  including warranties of  merchantability and fitness  for a particular purpose. CIAT shall not  be liable for incidental, consequential, or special damages arising out of the use of any data.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND CITATION    

We kindly ask  any users to  cite this data  in any published  material produced using this data,  and if possible  link web pages  to the CIAT-CSI  SRTM website (http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org).

Citations should be made as follows: Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A.  Nelson, E. Guevara, 2008, Hole-filled  seamless SRTM data V4, International  Centre for Tropical  Agriculture (CIAT), available  from
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 06:44:08 am »

CIAT-processed public SRTM data. May contain additional fixes in comparison to what we are using, but the data need permission and are not complete (missing data above 60° north).

KelvinNZ

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »

CIAT-processed public SRTM data. May contain additional fixes in comparison to what we are using, but the data need permission and are not complete (missing data above 60° north).

Ah yes we have covered this before. Great project though. I'm sure your work will be excellent.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 01:13:21 am »

These French   ;) who put such things free, arghhh....      ( I am french and crazy too )

Cameni, please hide this thread, LOL

Dont worry, there are still a lot of crazyes, that dream of an all-off open source future world of Venus Project where Outera will be an base for future construction and planing and an enormous real-time earth sim./map ! : P So be good to us or we find the patent mastersafe and burn the papers like paper money at banks ! : P : P
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 03:26:50 am »

Dont worry, there are still a lot of crazyes, that dream of an all-off open source future world of Venus Project where Outera will be an base for future construction and planing and an enormous real-time earth sim./map ! : P So be good to us or we find the patent mastersafe and burn the papers like paper money at banks ! : P : P

I am not sure to understand very well what you mean, but sure we want to keep on being crazy, and BTW I see that there are many crazy smart people from Slovakia here  ;D
No, to be more serious, I was just joking a bit about INRIA ( French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control ) people who are also doing crazy good works...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 04:55:55 am »

[quote author=foxfiles link=topic=1027.msg12288#msg12288
I am not sure to understand very well what you mean, but sure we want to keep on being crazy, and BTW I see that there are many crazy smart people from Slovakia here  ;D
No, to be more serious, I was just joking a bit about INRIA ( French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control ) people who are also doing crazy good works...
[/quote]

Well, in a world of pre-giwen set of norms of living and behaving ... every inovation is crazyness.  ;D  Its not bad, nor damaging. It should be actually be taken as a standard in the world of hi- and future- technology and knowledge !  ;)
The Venus project is an attempt to start an alternative way of organize our kind. And the Outerra-talk part is my own future-fantasy of global-scale urban-projection in real time ... a little too complex doe. Just take it as standard crazy stuff. : B
P.S.: Would like to hawe our research institute take some fancy stuff to work on too ...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:08:13 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 02:46:14 pm »

I'm either too patriotic or stupid, but at first I REALLY thought it had something to do with Poland.

I should:
a) stop thinking about my country too much
b) stop thinking about my country being so close to Slovakia
c) stop drinking so much tea

Since my knowledge about this subject is equal to perfect zero, I don't know what to say, but I suppose it's a great news for you guys that know what's going on, right?
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

Black Phoenix

• Black Phoenix's Brain Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »

I've tried this engine. It probably works, it even starts up on my videocard (Radeon HD3800), but has some issues with tile cache system (for some reason it's inadequately slow). I think my videocard is not supposed to run this thing.

I'm poking around Proland, but I still have Outerra in mind (it seemed to work adequately well). If it works I might use this to render terrain from space without actual window (I've got a use for simply drawing it to a texture).
Pages: 1 [2]