Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Earth Fly-by  (Read 31978 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Earth Fly-by
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:54 am »

Quote from: Abc94
I've almost watched this video 20 times now!
:D

So I was right then .. when I was making the video, I told Angrypig here that out of all ABC will like it most :)

Abc94

Earth Fly-by
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »

Quote from: cameni
:D

So I was right then .. when I was making the video, I told Angrypig here that out of all ABC will like it most :)

My name was mentioned during the making of this video??  I'm honoured!  :D
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Earth Fly-by
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

Due to popular request (and objections against the original soundtrack), I reuploaded this old video with a different soundtrack:

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 09:42:43 pm »

People objected to the original soundtrack? ??? I like Jablonsky's "My Name Is Lincoln", but there was nothing wrong with the original soundtrack.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Matt6767

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 02:51:29 am »

I like the original soundtrack too, the beginning is just awesome with the music.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 03:09:11 am »

Well, some people who remember the Challenger disaster find it wrong. I didn't make the connection when picking the music from Youtube's audio library.

The video got featured on several gaming sites in the last few days, so the issues has been brought back too.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:41:20 pm by cameni »

razielb8

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »

Every time i see a new video on this site I think of how all games should use this engine.
You guys are going to revolutionize the gaming industry, though i would say this engine could be used for more then games.
Keep up the good work :)

PRiME

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 07:21:09 pm »

Looks very impressive, I can't help but wonder what applications would be possible for placing multi worlds in the engine. Lets say solar system? Clearly this is way outside of the scope of the project but I was wondering how would the engine deal with having moon, sun, mars etc?   Is it possibly a case of opening up the space a bit more and plopping down new planet systems?

Just seems Outerra is designed for true scale, and possibly adding a whole solar system of empty space might be possible, even maybe orbits? :)

Thinking from a space-sim perspective.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:11:17 pm by PRiME »

mctash

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:32 pm »

Don't quote me on this, but I think solar scale and beyond is entirely possible in Outerra Engine. I'm sure I remember it being discussed a while back.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:02:42 pm by mctash »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

At a resolution of 1CM accuracy Outerra can handle 2.2 Billion KM from earth center. After that the accuracy will fall to 2CM for an additional 2.2 Billion KM.. Then it is either 3or4 CM accuracy for the next 2.2Bkm and so on and so forth.. For a while.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PRiME

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 01:39:12 am »

Ok, well solar system would expand out to 8billion, just past pluto, and after that its just dwarf planets etc which goes out to 14.5billion.

So I guess it can be done. I wonder if orbits were possible. It be nice if the engine could accommodate endless space but I guess at 2cm loss in accuracy it would eventually become unsustainable past our solar system. 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:08 am »

That 1cm accuracy and degradation with distance refers to a local coordinate frame, Earth-centered now but probably will be sun-centered. But this coordinate frame can be nested within another, global one, with say 2 billion resolution. That way you can cover 2 billion * 2 billion km with 1cm resolution ...

PRiME

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 02:28:50 am »

chances are for such a vast space simulation you would possibly shrink the solar system. For game-play aspects. Be interesting to experiment with that aspect of the engine someday.

I would simply put a sun in middle (easy modelled) and move the Earth continuously out to see effect on its landscape.. to determine engines limits and also ways to get around the accuracy issue. If it is a issue that is..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:30:21 am by PRiME »

Black Phoenix

• Black Phoenix's Brain Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:17 am »

That 1cm accuracy and degradation with distance refers to a local coordinate frame, Earth-centered now but probably will be sun-centered. But this coordinate frame can be nested within another, global one, with say 2 billion resolution. That way you can cover 2 billion * 2 billion km with 1cm resolution ...

You could take sun as an absolutely fixed object, divide space around solar system in 100 000 000 km sized cubes (one sides length), and then compute coordinates relative to the current cube you're located in. Maybe cube size needs to be a bit smaller... but you'll never run out of precision in the interplanetary flight.

When approaching some body switching to body-relative coordinate system is totally justified, and even though it's non-inertial, the perturbations caused by the body you approach will greatly exceed the error in computations.

When flying through interplanetary space, integrating within a single "cube" is possible without losing precision at any point. Switching between these coordinate system is a matter of trivial add/subtract. It doesn't even have to be known to the graphics engine - you will never notice the error in the interplanetary space (no reference bodies other than yourself), and your coordinates will be relative to nearest body once you're there (so back to high precision again).

This might seem a bit pointless (why not make just one double-precision space?), but implementing this is trivial, and it could be used to build interplanetary flight simulation with great great precision.

I'm not really planning to making interplanetary flight sim just yet, but if the outerra engine is nice and smooth enough (for my aerospace simulator), I would start work on that (the physics side of things).

Really looking forward to the wiki, would be interesting to see and work on the API for addons.
Pages: 1 [2]