Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: LEAP Motion  (Read 6061 times)

SpaceFlight

LEAP Motion
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:24 am »

Just saw this on the interwebz:

If it is as precise as they say, I know what I want for christmas (besides "Anteworld" of course :)  ).

It creates a "3D interaction space of 8 cubic feet" it says on their website (https://live.leapmotion.com).
Sounds good/big enough to me. I don't need the Kinect, but I could use this if it works.
The price: 70$.

They also send out SDK's to software developers.
Maybe the OT development team qualifies and maybe it can serve a purpose in OT?

Anyways, I am intrigued and looking for a catch...

Edit: another video: http://cnettv.cnet.com/control-your-desktop-wave-your-hand/9742-1_53-50124905.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:23:23 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: LEAP Motion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:38 am »

Looks interesting, the precision and capability to handle multiple points interests me as well.

Unfortunately, the developer kit application is only for US developers.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:24 am »

Why that is funny Cameni.. I just happen to be a US based Developer... of stuff. PM me what needs doing because that thing looks insane.

Minority report here we come!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:22 am »

If it was just a US address required, we could use our US POC. Might be worth a try.

Timmo

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »

So it's pretty much just Kinect?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:15 pm »

So it's pretty much just Kinect?

A) smaller than kinect  B) cheaper than Kinect and C) more accurate than Kinect

But yes it is still just Kinect.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:10:07 am »

Another article with a video: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/leap-motion-gesture-control-technology-hands-on/

No specific info about hardware yet, because of patent applications the article says.
There is also talk about possible integration of the technology into laptops, desktops etc. ("the plan is to get it baked into laptops, desktops, smartphones and tablets").

I don't think fatigue will be much of an issue. Elbows/forearms can be rested on a desktop and if it is very accurate, I guess you can just configure the sensibility of it up to a certain point, so only very small motions of the hands/fingers are necessary to control stuff on the screen.
I like the idea of connecting two or more of these to create more '3D interaction space'.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

I like the idea of connecting two or more of these to create more '3D interaction space'.

I would definitely use two so I could keep my hands on my side (above chair arms) Waving your hands in front of your monitor and blocking your view of it seems like a bad thing.