Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Earth view and atmosphere  (Read 4660 times)

Ozybolairy

Earth view and atmosphere
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:08:56 am »

I'm sure most of us have seen the recent videos from the international space station:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/06/these-space-orbit-videos-just-keep-getting-more-and-more-amazing-every-single-time/

On viewing this, I have a few questions in regards to the look of the Outerra world from space:

1. There is currently a definate haze effect when viewing the world from space. Are there plans to clear this up a bit to better reflect reality (as shown in the video above)
2. In terms of the enviroment, I'm aware you're looking into improving the vegetation and trees (great work with the grass so far!), do you also plan to incorporate rivers and clouds into this engine (possible even auroras as in the video)?
3. It would be great to hear what you aim to achieve by what time (although I could understand why you wouldn't release this information as it could raise expectations too high). I do look forward to each new release.

I think what a lot of users like about outerra it to see and be immersed in an environment that just looks beautiful. For me that is the game at this moment in time, there is not much to do, however just walking/flying or driving around is a pleasure, it's an escape which is rare for many games to create. I don't know if you've played Flower on the PS3, but Outerra has a similar feel about it at the moment and I hope it continues in that direction to create a unique experience. The more work that goes in to improving this atmosphere you have already created and with each release, this immersion gets better and better. Keep up the good work.

Black Phoenix

• Black Phoenix's Brain Blog
Re: Earth view and atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:41 am »

To #1: that's a very high exposure video. It's not what you see with your naked eye. It's also not what you get if taking pictures using normal video camera with low exposure.

You should expect to see Earth atmosphere as blurry haze around the planet (fairly thin though), and you'll also see stars as long as you're not looking directly at Earth (the stars fall within brightness range that eyes can perceive - this is not true for normal video/photo cameras).

Ozybolairy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:49:20 am »

Perhaps you are right:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=high+altitude+balloon&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4TEUA_enGB467&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IMrRT86PI8Oy0QXa8731Aw&ved=0CIQBELAE&biw=1680&bih=933

Maybe it's the absence of clouds that is the issue here as they are at a greater alitude and appear clearer than the ground

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:21 am »

maybe you can watch these stunning images from NASA, ESA , Earth seen from space - I do not think they are tricked or modified a lot

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Ozybolairy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:23:08 am »

Thankyou for posting that video, that was what I was talking about. I'll double check this against Outerra tonight to see if my questions still stands

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:13 am »

you're welcome Ozybolairy. Remember it is the real Earth so wanting to get very similar on your computer screen is quite ambitious!
what OT is doing so far is already more than expected.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein