Outerra Apps > Outerra World Simulator

part of OT terrain exportation

<< < (2/4) > >>

cameni:
Roads cannot be imported from an external source yet, but the internal road builder is pretty much ready. When you make a road in the road editor by clicking on the terrain and adding waypoints, internally the mouse clicks are converted to ECEF coordinates first, and this is then handled by the road builder core. Likewise you could add points defined as longitude+latitude+altitude, the way it's recorded in OSM. Basic OSM roads could be imported relatively easily, we only need to implement an algorithm to partition the OSM dataset, making a cache-friendly converter that creates OT vector data via the road builder that's already there.

Some of the functionality can be outsourced, provided we expose some low-level interfaces. So I guess some 3rd party tools will start showing up then.

foxfiles:
I am not skilled enough in these things but OSM is having a WMS tile service with a cache setting  (WMS web map service)
using WMS format in GDAL library, it is possible to access different types of web datas
but it seems that these OSM datas are images ? are they?
please look at the bottom of this GDAL's page here
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

as long as I've seen in using geo-web-3d app (which is using GDAL),
I could map OSM images on their raw globe model (a bit slow though because of the OSM web server load/latency I suppose)

I remember to have seen somewhere that the OSM global data can be used (free or purchased, I need to re-check) to be served on one own specific server, am I wrong? if not, why not open a specific OSM server, feeding OT only?

There might exist also WMS for vectors from other sources, mainly ESRI I think?
but they are neither free (some are free) nor they are available for the whole earth.

foxfiles:
yes it seems to be png images service, so need to create longitude+latitude+altitude from OSM png(s) for creating OT roads?
but OSM must have their vector datas also available through a WMS?

cameni:
:)

OSM data can be downloaded in vector form as XML, whole or partitioned into regions. I was referring to an algo that would take these data and extract them in blocks corresponding to the tiles used in OT projection, and feed the road builder with it.

foxfiles:
yes, in the past minutes, I was just looking at the OSM elements and understood my mistakes   :-\
as yes I see that OSM components are pretty simple and 16Gb compressed for the entire planet.
 I learn at the same time I communicate with you, so what I said above is not only stupid but useless too,
GDAL example creates png images from the original OSM elements  ::) ---  I am a full beginner in this.

(I'll be back in touch tomorrow)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version