Thanks...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:46 pm »

The demo will be available after we fix or work around the ATI driver issues that currently disallow running Outerra on ATI cards entirely. We will be focusing on this in next few weeks, together with performing some necessary optimizations.

The demo should contain almost everything that was shown till now. Drivable Tatra truck, Cessna, a free controller for flying around the world.
Tools for persistent scene editing (roads & runways. buildings ..) etc.
There will be just a single climate type everywhere in the world.

The demo will require a SM4 class graphics card to run, with at least 512MB memory, preferably an Nvidia 8800GT or higher.

Edding3000

Demo
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:47 pm »

Quote from: cameni
The demo will be available after we fix or work around the ATI driver issues that currently disallow running Outerra on ATI cards entirely. We will be focusing on this in next few weeks, together with performing some necessary optimizations.

The demo should contain almost everything that was shown till now. Drivable Tatra truck, Cessna, a free controller for flying around the world.

The demo will require a SM4 class graphics card to run, with at least 512MB memory, preferably an Nvidia 8800GT or higher.
sm4 = DX10?
can a 8xxx series of nvidia do this in hardware mode?

Anyways, a small question: is outerra DX10, or DX9 and DX10?
Do you plan to have a special DX11 renderer also? (tesselation, compute shader)

Greetz!

corona

Demo
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:43:19 pm »

Quote from: Edding3000

sm4 = DX10?

Greetz!

I'm not on the Outerra Team, but perhaps I can help you.
SM4 = Shader Model 4
GeForce 8 Series does support this, it is the lowest Geforce series that does so.
On the ATI side, it is supported from the Radeon HD2xxx series and up.

Outerra is not rendering with DX9 or 10 (or 11), but with OpenGL. However, both Tesselation and compute shader (in the form of OpenCL) are also available in OpenGL (as far as I understand).
Besides, don't believe all the hype, may I ask why you care what it uses? As long as it looks good and performs well I couldn't care less.

Hope this helps (and is accurate).

BTW: cameni, I have an HD2600 XT card with 256mb, does that mean I can't run outerra until I upgrade (a little difficult in the next year for me). Does it refuse to run on less than 512mb?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 02:43:09 am »

Quote from: corona
BTW: cameni, I have an HD2600 XT card with 256mb, does that mean I can't run outerra until I upgrade (a little difficult in the next year for me). Does it refuse to run on less than 512mb?
The optimizations we will be doing are directed at reducing the GPU memory footprint (along with performance). In the configuration one can set the amount of memory the card will use for terrain, if it's too low the terrain might not be refined enough in mountainous areas or when turning around.

I'm not sure about the performance of 2600, but it probably won't be great. We have only 4xxx and 5xxx ATI cards here so you'll be a tester :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:53 am »

Corona described it right. We would like to use tesselation shaders (available in OpenGL4) one day, but there are much more important things to be done first.
Also we could use OpenCL for more general computations, but we opted not to use it now as the drivers are in early stage and we don't want to pioneer the paths again :)

corona

Demo
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:42:25 am »

I'm not sure about the performance of 2600, but it probably won't be great. We have only 4xxx and 5xxx ATI cards here so you'll be a tester :)

Now hold on. First, let's talk about my salary, then we can talk about recruiting me as a tester. So fax over that NDA and contract so my team of lawyers can look over it. Be sure to  include a download link so I can evaluate before agreeing.

Sound good? :-)

Edit: had some mysql errors when trying to post this......

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 04:01:41 am »

had some mysql errors when trying to post this......
That's because you mentioned lawyers :D

AWM Mars

• http://www.yourinside.com
Demo
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 04:13:56 am »

I run one of my systems with a nVidia 8500GT with 1gb DDRIII ram, will that be good enough to run this demo? OS=XP SP3, 4GB DDRII Ram, 2TB Sata Raid HD's
Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 04:36:32 am »

Quote from: AWM Mars
I run one of my systems with a nVidia 8500GT with 1gb DDRIII ram, will that be good enough to run this demo? OS=XP SP3, 4GB DDRII Ram, 2TB Sata Raid HD's
Again I don't know how much weaker these cards are in comparison to the 8800GT card, this has to be tested.
The 8800GT reference is nowadays still manufactured as Nvidia 250 I think, different technologies and frequencies but basically the same good old chip.
For the slower cards there will have to be a different configuration that will reduce the demands, sacrificing the quality a bit of course.

But in truth we weren't dealing with that much as we were using Steam Hardware Survey as a reference when considering what hardware is being used. And it cannot be really expected that engine operating with such scales and detail ranges will work reasonably on those weaker cards anyway ..

MatthewS

Demo
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 05:37:49 am »

But in truth we weren't dealing with that much as we were using Steam Hardware Survey as a reference when considering what hardware is being used. And it cannot be really expected that engine operating with such scales and detail ranges will work reasonably on those weaker cards anyway ..

Will you be selling your final game on Steam?  

I buy 90% of my games now from steam and it seems like an easy way for you to get massive exposure (Win and Mac) for your game.

Many indie developers are publishing there and your customers will not complain about the non intrusive Steam DRM.

Also, I notice that devs will put their product on sale every now and then and I imagine this causes a nice cash injection from time to time.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:05:00 am »

If it will be a standalone game then we'll probably go with Steam.
But it may be also a different model, for example something where you can rent a land when you want to build, or to buy additional vehicles with possibly different simulation cores also from other vendors and so on. In that case a kind of micropayment system would be more appropriate.

AirDani

Demo
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:50 am »

If it will be a standalone game then we'll probably go with Steam.
But it may be also a different model, for example something where you can rent a land when you want to build, or to buy additional vehicles with possibly different simulation cores also from other vendors and so on. In that case a kind of micropayment system would be more appropriate.

I don't hope so,
Steam needs always connection to internet and many users would like to play offline i think
or maybe offline sell and online sell

Edding3000

Demo
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 08:14:57 am »

sm4 = DX10?

Greetz!

I'm not on the Outerra Team, but perhaps I can help you.
SM4 = Shader Model 4
GeForce 8 Series does support this, it is the lowest Geforce series that does so.
On the ATI side, it is supported from the Radeon HD2xxx series and up.

Outerra is not rendering with DX9 or 10 (or 11), but with OpenGL. However, both Tesselation and compute shader (in the form of OpenCL) are also available in OpenGL (as far as I understand).
Besides, don't believe all the hype, may I ask why you care what it uses? As long as it looks good and performs well I couldn't care less.

Hope this helps (and is accurate).

i know that sm = shader model haha :P. I just thought SM4.0 where supported from Geforce9XXX and up. The Geforce 9 series are DX10 cards, thats what gave me the confusion.
I care what it uses because i'm a developer myself too, and want to know a bit what kind of techniques are used. DX9 gives a whole lot less than DX10. But to be honest i havent worked with openGL asof yet.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:17 am »

Quote from: AirDani
I don't hope so, Steam needs always connection to internet and many users would like to play offline i think or maybe offline sell and online sell
Offline will be possible only for some kind of games that can use a reduced resolution dataset, otherwise the terrain data are large so they will be normally streamed on demand. It is like - a 76m dataset takes 14GB, while a 1km one takes ~300MB. And we ultimately want to use a better resolution for mountains so these numbers will be even higher.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4