Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Gaming from the Cloud  (Read 7516 times)

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
Gaming from the Cloud
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:22 am »

Ahahah,  :D we're gonna game streaming, the future is coming
<< Gaming from the Cloud : NVIDIA GeForce GRID techno >>
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:44:30 am by foxfiles »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Gaming from the Cloud
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:07:19 pm »

I'd rather have my game local. Everything would be faster (even if minutely) and should "the Apocalypse" happen I can fasten a makeshift generator and still use outerra in the basement of a fallout shelter for years to come.

Try that on "the cloud"
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

Local is better.  Maybe eventually once it becomes practical for me and I'm actually out somewhere when I have and can use a portable device that can't run the games normally, I might use a cloud gaming service, but I would never play a competitive multiplayer game on it.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

foxfiles

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:31:22 am »

I do agree with both of you but we cannot always be local : if you are itinerant, with mobile tablets or laptops?
there are and there will be so many different platforms, hardware configs, OS,
with so different capacities/perf, that it is worth we stay curious about such technologies which can widen A LOT the audience of any serious game.

I do not say that this is a Must
but I am right now testing this techno with Mass Effects on a 13" laptop in WiFi, and it's nice
 soon they will have an iOS app, so think about running OT on an IPad... or a smartphone

And they are announcing 4K and 8K over IP for soon !

think about OT running on a super cloud Nvidia grid, with fast 2 way streaming!
When you run a soft company, you have to be able to provide support to as much users as possible, means wide compatibility and in consequences a lot of effort/time/money from the developpers to maintain such compat. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:32:23 am by foxfiles »

foxfiles

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:29:36 am »

Come on guys! no more comments? I'd like to have your feelings... I'm not a real gamer so  :-[

SpaceFlight

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 10:15:04 am »

For portable devices it is surely interesting at the moment.
In 5-10 years however, I don't think you are going to be needing a big, bulky desktop computer for rendering games anymore anyways. Your PC will probably be as big as a phone or tablet and more powerful than a current PC with an i7-3770 processor and a dedicated graphics card like a Nvidia GTX680.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:27:07 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

foxfiles

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:20:59 am »

yes it is right, and there are new ultrabooks arriving now with Ivy Bridge and Nvidia mobile GPU,
and at the same time there are these new TV sets with browsing capabilities... has anyone tested such web grid-cloud  gaming on these "smart" TVs?

montieris

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:37:34 am »

I see this as evolution to always online DRM to host mainstream games. Streaming 1080p client in realtime and being dependent on latency is no go for me(death due lag/server full/error - diablo3 anyone?).
Actually this is nothing new, twenty years ago people were still working via terminals so this is same stuff under new name.

foxfiles

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:53:58 am »

I can tell you that I do not see any too bad latency. I will test this on another much older laptop soon.

There might be no strict innovation in this,
but comparing it with 20 years old terminal sessions is well, a bit Harsh !!!
25 years ago I was (yes I'm old) running 3D cad soft on very expensive Unix workstations and we could not do anything else than running simple text commands on  terminals plugged to our stations at super slow bandwiths...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:44 pm »

But in competitive multiplayer, any latency is bad latency.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:44 am »

It still could giwe a way for a stream-only game/software bussines ... lets say you would stream-use software of high cost for your company, while knowing, you would use it just this once or just 5-8-times in the year reducing costs for the software ... (an use-time only licence way). Or just an new way of presentation for such software companies  ... running user-picked apps for portable devices to have a demo play while getting the time flow faster and an game/application pre release demo "presentation" as an new way of commercial (if widely used of course - like apple would start to do this for its users to higher it state and maybe get some promo-funds for them selwes) ?

In other words - an way of applicating an full interaction commercial. (or maybe just for game/software shops : P)

P.S.: Im still an free-way thinker, just giwing an actuall world application thought out of me. :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:29:17 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

foxfiles

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:42:18 am »

But in competitive multiplayer, any latency is bad latency.

I don't know but the actual "competitive multiplaying" is also transmitting/receiving commands to/from a server through the Net? isn't it ? so there is also some latency, low latency but existing.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »

Yes, but streaming causes a significant amount more.